Activating yeast in rainy weather

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkcook

Assistant Cook
Does anyone have any hints for getting yeast to activate in rainy weather. Every time I try to make a yeast bread in the rain, I can't get it to rise. Help:ohmy:

When i have trouble (regularly :LOL:) getting yeast to rise, I put the bowl I'm trying to get it to rise in, inside another large bowl and fill the larger bowl with hot water, making a water bath or double boiler of sorts. I've found that this second burst of heat helps my yeast get busy!

Thanks SixSix210, Since you are in NJ like me and all we get is rain anymore I'll give it a try.

SixSix210 - Thanks I owe you a big one. I had to make two foccacio breads and a dozen strombolies for a local restaurant, and your trick worked like magic!

I generally use the warm water bath as well, but you could also put it in the oven with only the oven light on - this generates a bit of heat as well

When I start to bake, I set my oven to 170 degrees. The oven vents ar the back of the stove by the back burners. That way a warm air flow is present and some heat from the oven rises.

I proof the yeast in 1/2 cup of warm water and a pinch of sugar. It if starts bubbling, it is good to go.

I use the water bath to warm my Rye sour for making Ryew bread every other week.

HTH

AC

Back
Top Bottom