Adding other ingredients to a basic bread formula

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
I’m coming up to speed on baker’s percentages and ratios. But I’m not there yet...

All of the literature I’ve read on this subject gives me no clue as to how to “compensate” for eggs and/or butter in the total hydration.

Just an example:
Flour 100%
Hydration 68%
Salt 2%
Yeast 1%

If I want to add eggs, butter or oil, and sugar to this formula, do I reduce the hydration or subtract the weight of the eggs and fat from the total hydration? An egg weighs about 56 grams. Do I subtract the whole weight of the egg from the hydration, or just a percentage of it? If I add sugar, do I have to change the formula, or just decide how much I want and figure the percentage from there?

Same questions for the fat.

If I can get past this, I can start to develop my own recipes, which is my ultimate goal!

I have no Idea about baking by percentages .

I just know with adding 1 egg I need little more flour, I can feel it in dough, I know that butter doesnt always need more flour, it depends what I want from the dough.

As I said I have no clue about percentages, I do my own bread by feel, I have basic white bread and I can add parsnip or potatoes or carrots or butter or egg or what ever.

I’ve always admired chefs that cook by intuition. And, needless to say, a bit envious! Unfortunately, I was not blessed with that essential chef’s talent.

Just joel, do you have two hands and time, then it isnt a problem. I'm 42 and I baked since I was 7, all that time has brought a lot of failures and lesson has been learned. I still dont do great sourdough bread more then rye but I do good everyday loafs.

Once you have done it enough you can judge by the consistency and texture of your dough through sight and feel..I don't measure flour any more. I just add the bulk of it, depending on how much liquid ingredients, then I slowly add more while it is blending until I get what I want...like any other skill, it takes time..you can't depend on written recipes because there are so many variables, although it is a good place to start...then you will modify one to work for you..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom