Amish White Bread Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debbie24

Senior Cook
I found this recipe on another site but its so good i have to share.

I'm from Guyana and this bread tastes exactly like our "guyana bread" and i've been looking for a recipe to make this bread for over a year now and i'm just so excited to find something that tastes so much like "our" bread. Actually my mom says it tastes better.

I've made this bread 2 times in the last week and i cant keep myself away from it :pig:, its sooo good and so simple.

Here's the recipe.

INGREDIENTS
2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
2/3 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
6 cups bread flour

DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast.
Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.
Mix salt and oil into the yeast.
Mix in flour one cup at a time.
Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat.
Cover with a damp cloth.
Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
Punch dough down.
Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half.
Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans.
Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.

I didnt take a pic of the breads i made, if i tried now all you will see are 2 end pieces that are left. lol.

my only notes: I made this bread in the pan and out and the difference is the bread in the pan stays moist longer, the one out of the pan dries out a bit after a few days. Also the bread is slightly sweet & heavenly with just butter.

Next time i make it i'll be sure to take a pic.

Enjoy.

Here's a pic

Attachments

• IMG_5369.JPG
    IMG_5369.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 288
INGREDIENTS
2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
2/3 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
6 cups bread flour

When I saw your recipe it drew me to my recipe file because it looked very familiar. Sure enough, it's almost identical to the Italian bread recipe from Emeril on Food TV. The differences are very subtle, and I would encourage you to try it to see how you like it. here's the recipe:

Basic Italian Bread

Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2003
Food Network TV

Ingredients:
2 Cups water, lukewarm (16 oz.)
2 teaspoons Instant Yeast
5 3/4 Cups bread flour (1# 13 oz.)
1 Tablespoon dark brown sugar (Regular brown sugar works fine)
2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tablespoon salt
1 Egg white, lightly beaten
2 Tablespoons sesame seeds

Directions:
Mix flour, salt and yeast in a bowl and blend ingredients so they mix well. Using a dough hook attachment, add the flour and brown sugar to the water and mix on low speed until the dough starts to form. Drizzle the oil into the dough and beat on medium speed for 8 to 10 minutes, or until a smooth, firm, elastic dough is formed. (At this point I take it out and hand knead, adding flour if needed, for 5 minutes or until I’m happy with the texture of the dough. You want it smooth, not sticky.)
Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl and spray the dough with a thin coating of cooking spray. Wrap the bowl with plastic wrap (I use plastic shopping bags instead of wasting plastic wrap. Put the bowl in the bag and tuck the handles underneath to keep out any breeze) and set aside to proof in a warm, draft-free place for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until doubled in size. Remove the plastic wrap (bag), punch down and flatten the rounded dough with the heel of your hand, and split into two equal pieces. Roll the dough up tightly, sealing the seam well after each roll. The dough should be elongated and oval-shaped, with tapered and rounded (not pointed) ends.
Preheat the oven lined with a pizza stone to 400° F. Alternately, an inverted baking sheet may be used in place of a pizza stone.
Place the dough on a baker's peel heavily dusted with semolina flour, or cornmeal, or alternately on an inverted baking sheet. (I use parchment paper on my peel dusted with cornmeal, so I can slide it all onto my pizza stone) Allow the dough to proof, loosely covered with sprayed plastic (I cut up the bag) and a dishtowel, for about one hour, or until doubled in size. Brush the dough with the egg white and sprinkle the sesame seeds over the top. Using a razor blade or sharp knife, score 3 (1/4-inch deep) slashes across the top of the dough at a 45 degree angle.
Spray the dough generously with water from a water bottle and place in the oven on the baking stone. Immediately close the oven and bake for 3 minutes. Open the oven door and spray the dough again with the water bottle. Close the oven door and bake for an additional 3 minutes before spraying the dough for a third time (the spraying of the dough will ensure a crisp golden brown crust). Bake the dough for 30 minutes, or until a hollow thud is heard when the bread is whacked with the bowl of a wooden spoon. Bread should have internal temperature of at least 200° F. Allow the bread to cool slightly on a wire rack before serving.

The brown sugar and olive oil impart a delicious flavor, and like your bread, does not stand a chance of going stale.:LOL: I just made it for a funeral luncheon last Monday, and here's what it looks like:

img_669561_0_58f0f93025c15ae25f4ce1669d6d0625.jpg

Joe

Joe is your bread crusty? It looks a bit. The one i posted above is very soft, even softer than regular white bread crust.

Thanks for sharing your recipe.

BTW your rolls look great, i really have to try rolls next time. Do you roll yours out and put them in a pan and separate after or do you bake them separately on a sheet?

Joe is your bread crusty? It looks a bit. The one i posted above is very soft, even softer than regular white bread crust.

Thanks for sharing your recipe.

BTW your rolls look great, i really have to try rolls next time. Do you roll yours out and put them in a pan and separate after or do you bake them separately on a sheet?

Pssssssst! Don't tell anyone, but I have a secret to get a crusty skin on my breads. After I apply egg wash and sesame seeds, I cut three slashes in the top, then take my water spray bottle and mist the loaves with plain water. Pop them in the oven, and after 3 minutes open the door, mist the loaves and close the door. After three more minutes repeat the misting and then leave the oven door closed to continue cooking. You will end up with a slightly crust and chewy skin on the bread, and everyone will think you have store-bought bread.

Be sure to keep this a secret between just you and me.:rolleyes:

Since you asked about the rolls, here's the recipe and how I ake them. They are a bit of work, but are definitely worth it.

Basic White Bread Recipe
For KitchenAid Stand Mixer

Ingredients:

1/2C (4 oz.) milk
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast or 2 teaspoons Instant Yeast (.34 oz.)
1-1/2 C (12 oz.) warm water (105F to 110F)
5-6 C (1# 13 oz.) Unbleached bread flour

Directions:

1. Combine milk, sugar, salt, and butter in small saucepan. Heat over low heat and stir until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Cool to lukewarm (less than 110 F.
2. If using active dry yeast, dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed bowl and let stand for 10 minutes. If using Instant Yeast, just add it to the flour and mix it in before adding liquids.
3. Add lukewarm milk mixture and water to 4 1/2 C (1# 6 oz.) flour. Attach bowl and dough hook. Turn to speed 2 and mix 1 minute. Continuing on speed 2, add remaining flour, 1/2 C (2.5 oz.) at a time (slowly so it doesn’t fly out of bowl), until dough clings to hook and cleans side of bowl. Knead on speed 2 for 2 minutes longer, or until dough is smooth and elastic. Dough will be slightly sticky to the touch. (At this point I take the dough and knead it for 5-7 minutes, adding flour as needed, until I get the “feel” I want from the dough.)
4. Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about an hour.
5. Punch dough down and divide in half. Shape each half into a loaf and place in a greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pan. Cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
6. Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes. Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks.

For Hamburger and hot dog buns, divide the dough into 2-1/2 oz portions and shape into a ball. Allow dough balls to rest for 5 minutes, then flatten with the heel of your hand and place on cookie sheet dusted with cornmeal. Allow about 1” between rolls for expansion/proofing. For hot dog buns, shape into about 5-6” long tubes with seam down. Brush with wisked egg white/water mix and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds. Bake at 400° F for 12-14 minutes or until 200° F.

Joe

Thank you for the link...I used to make my own handmade bread for many years now but since we started eating bread at least three times a week I decided to invest in a 2lb loaf Zojirushi machine. I am happy with my machine and it has a very good dough making option. I guess I just got lazy kneading...;)

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of making the rolls with the amish white bread recipe since i like the flavor of that bread. Thanks for sharing your recipe tho, i'm saving it to try another time & i'll definitey try the hot dog buns.

Also your secret for crusty bread is safe with me ;)

Back
Top Bottom