Anyone bake their own hamburger buns?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
I'm looking into doing this, here's why. I buy frozen patties, they aren't that bad, really. OK, so now I go to supermarkets to buy hamburger buns. They all have 2 sizes. One size (the smaller size) hasn't changed since the 1930's and is too small for frozen patties. Then there's the larger sized buns. These are too big for frozen patties, they leave at least 1/2" of excess bread around the patties. So, I buy the smaller Popeye sized ones that Wimpy would gladly pay you Thursday for. They are too small, overly fluffy and compress down terribly as you handle the burger while eating.

So...I'm looking into baking my own. Sized slightly larger than the 1930's sized buns and firmer than the air injected dough bread on store shelves today.

I've found this site showing how to bake your own. I'd appreciate any feedback if you've baked your own hamburger buns. Btw, no hamburger joint uses the fluffy air buns you see on store shelves, they have buns baked exclusively for them, to their specifications.

Last edited:
I used to bake all of our family's bread from scratch. I tried on a number of occasions to make burger buns, but was always a little disappointed in the results. It's not that they didn't taste good. They tasted wonderful. It was the texture I was never really happy with. They usually came out more bread-like than bun-like. The crust tended to be too crunchy and they would sometimes crumble apart after a few bites.

I know what you mean about the air-injected buns, but I wish I had been able to make a bun that was a little lighter and more pliable.

Last edited:
I used to bake all of our family's bread from scratch. I tried on a number of occasions to make burger buns, but was always a little disappointed in the results. It's not that they didn't taste good. They tasted wonderful. It was the texture I was never really happy with. They usually came out more bread-like than bun-like. The crust tended to be too crunchy and they would sometimes crumble apart after a few bites.

I know what you mean about the air-injected buns, but I wish I had been able to make a bun that was a little lighter and more pliable.

OK, thanks for telling your results. I don't even own a bread maker. I may not try making my own. :(

Does anyone else but me find standard hamburger buns are small sized? It's like...it's like... they haven't changed since the 1930's. :ROFLMAO:

Bakers are almost like masonic masons or something, heh. I've read that all brands of supermarket bought bread now comes from relatively few bakery companies.

Last edited:
Every supermarket sells the same diameter frozen meat patties, but they don't quite match up with the hamburger buns on store shelves. The small ones are too small and the jumbo ones are too large. :LOL:

Man has evolved since the 1930's, we want more...make the standard hamburger bun size a bit bigger you bakery giants.

good luck with this probably.

Last edited:
I'm with Steve!

The texture of homemade buns is the problem for me. I don't eat many burgers or hot dogs these days, but when I do I want that spongey supermarket texture I grew up with!

This is a good recipe and also an Amish potato bread works well.

Go easy on the flour to keep the dough light, greasing your hands and a bench scraper will help to work the slightly sticky dough.

I split the homemade buns and toast/fry them in a cast iron skillet with a smear of butter to get my mind off of the texture thing!

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/hamburger-or-hot-dog-buns-recipe

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/beautiful-burger-buns-recipe

Last edited:
I make my own burger pattys so I can control how wide they are. I also don't use burger buns. Our supermarket sells packaged rolls labeled as bulkie rolls but they are softer and work great.

Considering the amount of effort involved, it would be simpler to make your own burger pattys than to make your own rolls.

I have made hamburger buns. I don't see much of a thrill in the project. My family doesn't care if the meat hangs over the edge of the bun a bit, in fact they like it that way. However, I don't use frozen patties. There's something about the end product that doesn't work for us. I agree with Andy, make your own patties.

I echo the others. Make your own patties. And, if you really want to make your own buns, here's a good recipe:
Kaiser Rolls Recipe | Rolls and Buns Recipes | Conventional | Breadworld by Fleischmanns

Make the dough the day before and let it rest overnight in the fridge. This will give you better flavor and texture for your buns. Also, you might want to add two tbs. vital wheat gluten to your dry flour before adding the other ingredients, again, to give it better texture.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I was in the camp of never using frozen hamburger patties for most of my life.
Then once at my sisters lake house, I used some frozen Angus patties.
They were actually very good.
Not as good as home made, but still good in a pinch and best of all they require no thawing out. From freezer to grill.

Dinner was ready in mere minutes.

In his cookbook, "The Burger Miester", Marcel Desaulniers makes his own "buns" to go with the different burgers he offers. Careful though, you might run across his "Death by Chocolate". You're a gonner then for sure!:ohmy:

I bought some not frozen pre-formed burger pattys at Costco. I did not like them at all. The meat was highly compressed and took longer to cook. The texture was not at all what you'd expect from a burger.

If you use milk as part of the liquid the crust and crumb will be softer. It might help.

Try the Spud Nuts doughnut recipe, and instead of using the pastry dough for yeast-raised doughnuts, use it to make buns. They come out very light and tender.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I thought folks came here for encouragement to try new things in their kitchen... "just buy it" or "taste is a personal thing you figure it out" aren't very useful.

I say go for making buns! I've done it several times & while the texture / taste don't match store-bought it's those differences that make them great. <3 I scribbled the recipe down of the last one I used and it's around here somewhere (though not where it's supposed to be!) - when it makes an appearance I'll share it.

I thought folks came here for encouragement to try new things in their kitchen... "just buy it" or "taste is a personal thing you figure it out" aren't very useful...

I see nothing wrong with discussing different solutions to a problem.

I baked, and hand rolled my own burger buns for 10 plus years for my family diner. I just used the same dough as the bread loaves, which contained eggs, milk and canola oil. They were 4 ounces of dough for 6 ounce burger patties. I sliced and X on the top so they would broaden out when rising. They need a good warm place to rise quickly and double in size. Even then, they tended to be a bit dense and crusty. I used to bag them after they cooled and let them stale over night before using. Never the same day. The secret to to softening them up before cooking is, I would slice them, butter the insides and warm up on the flat top. The steam/moist air from the heated butter would permeate up through the bun and soften it up really nicely. It would also sear/toast the inside of the bun which would also help prevent too much absorption of juices and condiments, preventing it from getting too soggy.

Last edited:
The secret to to softening them up before cooking is, I would slice them, butter the insides and warm up on the flat top. The steam/moist air from the heated butter would permeate up through the bun and soften it up really nicely. It would also sear/toast the inside of the bun which would also help prevent too much absorption of juices and condiments, preventing it from getting too soggy.

Good tip! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom