"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 12-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
Head Chef

Anyone bake their own hamburger buns?

I'm looking into doing this, here's why. I buy frozen patties, they aren't that bad, really. OK, so now I go to supermarkets to buy hamburger buns. They all have 2 sizes. One size (the smaller size) hasn't changed since the 1930's and is too small for frozen patties. Then there's the larger sized buns. These are too big for frozen patties, they leave at least 1/2" of excess bread around the patties. So, I buy the smaller Popeye sized ones that Wimpy would gladly pay you Thursday for. They are too small, overly fluffy and compress down terribly as you handle the burger while eating.

So...I'm looking into baking my own. Sized slightly larger than the 1930's sized buns and firmer than the air injected dough bread on store shelves today.

I've found this site showing how to bake your own. I'd appreciate any feedback if you've baked your own hamburger buns. Btw, no hamburger joint uses the fluffy air buns you see on store shelves, they have buns baked exclusively for them, to their specifications.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Sorry, I haven't made hamburger buns, so I'm no help. But, I want to hear how they turn out.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:29 AM   #3
Wine Guy

I used to bake all of our family's bread from scratch. I tried on a number of occasions to make burger buns, but was always a little disappointed in the results. It's not that they didn't taste good. They tasted wonderful. It was the texture I was never really happy with. They usually came out more bread-like than bun-like. The crust tended to be too crunchy and they would sometimes crumble apart after a few bites.

I know what you mean about the air-injected buns, but I wish I had been able to make a bun that was a little lighter and more pliable.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:02 AM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I used to bake all of our family's bread from scratch. I tried on a number of occasions to make burger buns, but was always a little disappointed in the results. It's not that they didn't taste good. They tasted wonderful. It was the texture I was never really happy with. They usually came out more bread-like than bun-like. The crust tended to be too crunchy and they would sometimes crumble apart after a few bites.

I know what you mean about the air-injected buns, but I wish I had been able to make a bun that was a little lighter and more pliable.
OK, thanks for telling your results. I don't even own a bread maker. I may not try making my own.

Does anyone else but me find standard hamburger buns are small sized? It's like...it's like... they haven't changed since the 1930's.

Bakers are almost like masonic masons or something, heh. I've read that all brands of supermarket bought bread now comes from relatively few bakery companies.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:31 AM   #5
Head Chef

Every supermarket sells the same diameter frozen meat patties, but they don't quite match up with the hamburger buns on store shelves. The small ones are too small and the jumbo ones are too large.

Man has evolved since the 1930's, we want more...make the standard hamburger bun size a bit bigger you bakery giants.

good luck with this probably.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #6
Master Chef

I'm with Steve!

The texture of homemade buns is the problem for me. I don't eat many burgers or hot dogs these days, but when I do I want that spongey supermarket texture I grew up with!

This is a good recipe and also an Amish potato bread works well.

Go easy on the flour to keep the dough light, greasing your hands and a bench scraper will help to work the slightly sticky dough.

I split the homemade buns and toast/fry them in a cast iron skillet with a smear of butter to get my mind off of the texture thing!

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...og-buns-recipe

Old 12-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

I make my own burger pattys so I can control how wide they are. I also don't use burger buns. Our supermarket sells packaged rolls labeled as bulkie rolls but they are softer and work great.

Considering the amount of effort involved, it would be simpler to make your own burger pattys than to make your own rolls.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
Sous Chef

I have made hamburger buns. I don't see much of a thrill in the project. My family doesn't care if the meat hangs over the edge of the bun a bit, in fact they like it that way. However, I don't use frozen patties. There's something about the end product that doesn't work for us. I agree with Andy, make your own patties.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
Master Chef

I echo the others. Make your own patties. And, if you really want to make your own buns, here's a good recipe:
Kaiser Rolls Recipe | Rolls and Buns Recipes | Conventional | Breadworld by Fleischmanns

Make the dough the day before and let it rest overnight in the fridge. This will give you better flavor and texture for your buns. Also, you might want to add two tbs. vital wheat gluten to your dry flour before adding the other ingredients, again, to give it better texture.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I was in the camp of never using frozen hamburger patties for most of my life.
Then once at my sisters lake house, I used some frozen Angus patties.
They were actually very good.
Not as good as home made, but still good in a pinch and best of all they require no thawing out. From freezer to grill.

Dinner was ready in mere minutes.

Tags
ham, hamburger