"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 01-13-2013, 04:29 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Average Cost Per Pound Using KA Specialty Flours

Using such King Arthur specialty flours as Sir Lancelot, First Clear, Medium Rye, and Whole Wheat seems to bring the cost of producing a loaf of bread to about $1.50 per pound.
While this would appear to be nearly double the cost to make bread using the bread flours available at many supermarkets, I consider the additional cost to be one of the more affordable luxuries.
What think you?

Old 01-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I'm grateful that KA makes these specialty products available to us, but often the price is too high for me. It's worse when you add in shipping.

But if you are serious about making bread, and don't mind the cost, they are awesome, and bring products that would be near impossible for the home baker to obtain otherwise.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Whether or not it's worth it is a personal decision. IMO, considering the effort required to make bread, for $0.75 a loaf, I'd go for the specialty flour.

What's special about these flours vs. those available in stores?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
Wine Guy

The price of high quality store/bakery bread where I live runs anywhere from $3.99 to as much as $7 a loaf (I define "high quality" as containing only the basic ingredients required to make bread, and without cheap fillers or additives). So I wouldn't balk at $1.50 loaf.

I bake a lot of bread and actually once went three years without buying any - including hamburger buns and rolls. Since our daughter went off to college, though, I now buy about one loaf a month just for the convenience. I don't exclusively use King Arthur, though. I've also had good luck with Bob's Red Mill and Hodgson Mill flours.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Whether or not it's worth it is a personal decision. IMO, considering the effort required to make bread, for $0.75 a loaf, I'd go for the specialty flour.

What's special about these flours vs. those available in stores?
With respect to their white whole wheat, Sir Lancelot, and particularly their First Clear flour King Arthur's descriptions explain their virtues better than my prose-
Home | King Arthur Flour
Old 01-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
Certified Cake Maniac

I just have to pop in here with a "dumb Canuck" funny! We don't get King Arthur flour up here and so when I looked at the title by itself I had to click because I didn't know that Kitchen Aid made flour!

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled thread!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I just have to pop in here with a "dumb Canuck" funny! We don't get King Arthur flour up here and so when I looked at the title by itself I had to click because I didn't know that Kitchen Aid made flour!

Same here.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:

I'll have to remember dC isn't the same as DC.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:

Also, Kitchen Aid isn't a concert put together by a group of rock stars to help people without kitchens.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I love KA flours and find that they are at least a dollar cheaper than the grocery stores. I don't mind the prices and love the results I get with the flours. I plan to send for some of the newer flours so I can try to make some serious rolls I'm tired of store bought anything I find mysef hikding my breath when I get into the bread section the additives make me feel ill from the smell.
kades great thread. here.

Tags
flours