Best place for dough to rise if house is cool?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
I want to try my hand at that bread from that video JoeV posted (I think it was JoeV) - anyhow - it's almost cold in the house today. Where's the best place, in a cold house, for dough to rise?

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I think even on top of the fridge will still be too cold. My fridge is what, 6+ feet high but my ceilings are 10 feet high. It's REALLY cold in my kitchen! The TV in the kitchen might be the best place or, the oven with a candle.

Do you have a microwave? Boil a cup of water in it, stick the dough bowl in quickly, leaving the hot water in the microwave. You can watch thru the window to see if the dough is rising well, and you may have to reboil the water at some point.

You can do the same thing in your regular oven, with a saucepan of water.

Or, just let your dough take its own sweet time in the cold--slow rising is better for flavor.

I have been using my microwave for years as a proofing box. I put a microwave-safe bowl with about 2 cups of water inside and heat on HIGH for 3 minutes. Wait about 2 minutes and then put my dough into the microwave. Leave the bowl of water inside. The microwave stays adequately warm for about 1 hour, which is enough time for most dough to rise. I've never had a problem. Never had to reheat the water or add more.

The plus is, the inside of the microwave gets "steam-cleaned." All I have to do is wipe it down.

Elf, I almost always use the microwave to rise my bread in. I don't turn it on, or anything... just put the covered bowl in and close the door. It's guaranteed to be draft free! I usually also set the timer for an hour and check on it.
Works like a charm!:chef:

It is rising as we speak. I too set it for 60 minutes. I did go back and put a piece of plastic over the bowl - so, it HAS to be covered? This question is proof (no pun intended), I don't bake.

Kitchenelf - trust me on this one. Empty your dishwasher. Start a rinse cycle. As soon as it starts to spray, stop the dishwasher. Leave the water in it (On mine, I hit cancel twice). Put the bread dough in a bowl (First rise) or on a cutting board, or in loaf pans, whichever you are using (Seconf rise). Close the door Hot, humid, no drafts. Works great!!!

AC

Elf,
are you in a hurry or would a long slow rise be OK? I let mine go for 4-5 hours and then when I bake I get a much fuller flavor, more of a sour dough taste..It won't hurt the dough...It's very forgiving..

cj

It's very forgiving..

Um - any form of dough hates me cj!!!! The next time I think I will use the slow rise method just out of curiosity. I did pinch a tiny bit off during the preparation for the second rise and it's funny you should mention sour dough - that's what it tasted a bit like.

We'll see in about 1 1/2 hours how badly I messed this up. No one understands - I'm a disaster near flour mixed with water and if theirs yeast involved??? :blush: My mind is a powerful thing - these things never turn out!

It seems like the microwave would be a great place. It's where I've been setting my disasters in breadmaking :wacko:
I know when I make bread in my breadmachine the yeast action gives off it's own heat. The window on the lid fogs up. I figured the microwave would help hold that heat in.

I have been using my microwave for years as a proofing box. I put a microwave-safe bowl with about 2 cups of water inside and heat on HIGH for 3 minutes. Wait about 2 minutes and then put my dough into the microwave. Leave the bowl of water inside. The microwave stays adequately warm for about 1 hour, which is enough time for most dough to rise. I've never had a problem. Never had to reheat the water or add more.

The plus is, the inside of the microwave gets "steam-cleaned." All I have to do is wipe it down.

pretty much do the same thing. if day is very warm, it will rise on the counter.

babe:chef:

Back
Top Bottom