"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 09-26-2013, 12:42 AM   #11
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I've seen that in packages at the grocery store - it's sold as Naan. Makes me think of a PBS show (??) that demonstrated making the dough, then taking that ball and smacking it on the side of a very hot stone wall inside an "appliance" that looked like a kiln of some sort. I'd end up with major burns if I tried to do that!
Naan is cooked in a tandoor, a vertical type traditional "oven". the dough is rolled out and stuck to the side, cooked bubbly on one side, flat and crisp on the other.

Indian fry Bread is just that, same general recipe, but fried.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:53 AM   #12
Master Chef

Tandoor! That's it TAT, thanks. I could "see" it and the show I saw it on in my Mind's Eye, but that doesn't translate well to paper - or computer screen.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

how often do you bake bread and do you have any new ideas
Old 09-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

We have some people who bake daily, or almost. Check the "What are you baking today?" thread. Also, what's "old" to you, so we can suggest "new" ideas?
Old 10-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #15
Senior Cook

That would be "Indian" as in "Native American". Not at all the same thing as Naan.

The history of "Indian" fry bread (and a recipe)
Old 10-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #16
Head Chef

Indian bread...the baking powder version has been a staple in our house for years. We love it because it is made without eggs or milk so no matter what happens to the budget we can always afford it. When my daughters friends spend the night Indian bread is often served for breakfast because they have never had it before. We serve it many ways, with jelly, or butter and syrup or with cinnamon and sugar. But when I first learned to make it it was used to accompany fried fish as a savory side. Any way you serve it it is yummy and affordable.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #17
Executive Chef

I thought my mother invented scones. She made them on bread baking day and we would sit and wait for them. She sprinkled granulated sugar on them. One time I made some of them with frozen bread dough and my family thought I was nuts. They wouldn't even try them. My husband's family grew up eating completely opposite of what I did.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Wow, so many variations! My scones have always been leavened with baking powder, similar to a sweet baking powder biscuit. My fry bread/bannock has also been baking powder leavened, but more elastic like an Irish soda bread, and fried in an inch of oil in a cast iron skillet. I'm going to have to try the yeast leavened recipe at the beginning of this thread. It will go wonderfully with a batch of chili tomorrow when the cold front comes through!
Old 10-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberrymocha55 View Post
Wow, so many variations! My scones have always been leavened with baking powder, similar to a sweet baking powder biscuit. My fry bread/bannock has also been baking powder leavened, but more elastic like an Irish soda bread, and fried in an inch of oil in a cast iron skillet. I'm going to have to try the yeast leavened recipe at the beginning of this thread. It will go wonderfully with a batch of chili tomorrow when the cold front comes through!

Denny's serves something similar, like Irish Soda Bread, but it's just what you get if you order rolls with your meal. They are very good.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Alas, closest Denny's is 85 miles away. But, the high is supposed to be 60, so O will be making chili and frybread. Yum!