Brandon's Fry Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Somebunny

Executive Chef
Fry Bread

2 cups Warm water
2 packages Dry yeast
4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2Tablespoons Sugar
2 teaspoons Salt
6 cups white Flour
oil for frying

Place water in bowl. Sprinkle yeast over water and allow to stand in a warm place for 5 minutes. Add oil, sugar, salt and flour. Knead awhile, adding more water, or flour to proper consistency. It will make a stiff dough. Allow to rise in large bowl covered by a towel in a warm place for 1 hour. Place oil in a large deep sauce pan and heat to almost boiling. Form dough into 4 inch discs about 1/4 inch thick and fry until golden brown on each side. Drain over paper towels on serving plate.

In this part of the country that is called Fried Dough and sprinkled generously with powered sugar. Other parts of the country it is called Funnel Cake. Same thing. Sprinkled with powered sugar. Big favorite of my kids as they were growing up. :angel:

On baking day my Mother would stretch out thin discs of yeast based bread dough and fry it in melted Crisco. When it was a chestnut brown she would flip it and brown the other side. We ate it sprinkled with granulated sugar and cinnamon. When we got older we discovered the Italian fried dough or Pizza Fritta. I guess every culture has a version of this inexpensive and filling treat!

I need to get back to the diet thread! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

In this part of the country that is called Fried Dough and sprinkled generously with powered sugar. Other parts of the country it is called Funnel Cake. Same thing. Sprinkled with powered sugar. Big favorite of my kids as they were growing up. :angel:
Funnel cake is made with a batter, not a dough and looks like this:

funnel-cake.jpg

:angel:

On baking day my Mother would stretch out thin discs of yeast based bread dough and fry it in melted Crisco. When it was a chestnut brown she would flip it and brown the other side. We ate it sprinkled with granulated sugar and cinnamon. When we got older we discovered the Italian fried dough or Pizza Fritta. I guess every culture has a version of this inexpensive and filling treat!

I need to get back to the diet thread! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
I know it as bannock, as Cree friends call it - and Scots. But, made with baking powder, not yeast. When it's cut in wedges, it's called scones. :)

A Southern acquaintance had been hearing about bannock for quite a while and when she finally saw it made and tasted it, she said, "Well, that's just a big biscuit."

I know it as bannock, as Cree friends call it - and Scots. But, made with baking powder, not yeast. When it's cut in wedges, it's called scones. :)

A Southern acquaintance had been hearing about bannock for quite a while and when she finally saw it made and tasted it, she said, "Well, that's just a big biscuit."

When I was a kid we tried to make bannock on a stick over a campfire, what a mess! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I think we got the idea from a book by Bradford and Vena Angier.

Fry Bread
... Place oil in a large deep sauce pan and heat to almost boiling. Form dough into 4 inch discs about 1/4 inch thick and fry until golden brown on each side. Drain over paper towels on serving plate.
We call it Indian Bread, make the disc bigger and fill it something like a taco.
I've seen that in packages at the grocery store - it's sold as Naan. Makes me think of a PBS show (??) that demonstrated making the dough, then taking that ball and smacking it on the side of a very hot stone wall inside an "appliance" that looked like a kiln of some sort. I'd end up with major burns if I tried to do that!

Funnel cake is made with a batter, not a dough and looks like this:

funnel-cake.jpg

:angel:
And in my opinion, funnel cakes are way better than fried dough (known as "Elephant Ears" in the midwest) as a dessert. :yum: I like the lighter texture. Unfortunately, it seems like funnel cakes are not made around here. :( Haven't found any yet - should make my own some night.

I've seen that in packages at the grocery store - it's sold as Naan. Makes me think of a PBS show (??) that demonstrated making the dough, then taking that ball and smacking it on the side of a very hot stone wall inside an "appliance" that looked like a kiln of some sort. I'd end up with major burns if I tried to do that!

Naan is cooked in a tandoor, a vertical type traditional "oven". the dough is rolled out and stuck to the side, cooked bubbly on one side, flat and crisp on the other.

Indian fry Bread is just that, same general recipe, but fried.

Tandoor! That's it TAT, thanks. I could "see" it and the show I saw it on in my Mind's Eye, but that doesn't translate well to paper - or computer screen.

We have some people who bake daily, or almost. Check the "What are you baking today?" thread. Also, what's "old" to you, so we can suggest "new" ideas? :)

Indian bread...the baking powder version has been a staple in our house for years. We love it because it is made without eggs or milk so no matter what happens to the budget we can always afford it. When my daughters friends spend the night Indian bread is often served for breakfast because they have never had it before. We serve it many ways, with jelly, or butter and syrup or with cinnamon and sugar. But when I first learned to make it it was used to accompany fried fish as a savory side. Any way you serve it it is yummy and affordable.

I thought my mother invented scones. She made them on bread baking day and we would sit and wait for them. She sprinkled granulated sugar on them. One time I made some of them with frozen bread dough and my family thought I was nuts. They wouldn't even try them. My husband's family grew up eating completely opposite of what I did.

Wow, so many variations! My scones have always been leavened with baking powder, similar to a sweet baking powder biscuit. My fry bread/bannock has also been baking powder leavened, but more elastic like an Irish soda bread, and fried in an inch of oil in a cast iron skillet. I'm going to have to try the yeast leavened recipe at the beginning of this thread. It will go wonderfully with a batch of chili tomorrow when the cold front comes through!

Wow, so many variations! My scones have always been leavened with baking powder, similar to a sweet baking powder biscuit. My fry bread/bannock has also been baking powder leavened, but more elastic like an Irish soda bread, and fried in an inch of oil in a cast iron skillet. I'm going to have to try the yeast leavened recipe at the beginning of this thread. It will go wonderfully with a batch of chili tomorrow when the cold front comes through!

Denny's serves something similar, like Irish Soda Bread, but it's just what you get if you order rolls with your meal. They are very good.

Back
Top Bottom