"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-25-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
Executive Chef
 
Somebunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Blaine, Washington
Posts: 2,649
Brandon's Fry Bread

Fry Bread

2 cups Warm water
2 packages Dry yeast
4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2Tablespoons Sugar
2 teaspoons Salt
6 cups white Flour
oil for frying

Place water in bowl. Sprinkle yeast over water and allow to stand in a warm place for 5 minutes. Add oil, sugar, salt and flour. Knead awhile, adding more water, or flour to proper consistency. It will make a stiff dough. Allow to rise in large bowl covered by a towel in a warm place for 1 hour. Place oil in a large deep sauce pan and heat to almost boiling. Form dough into 4 inch discs about 1/4 inch thick and fry until golden brown on each side. Drain over paper towels on serving plate.

__________________

__________________
If you don't like the food, have more wine!
Somebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,017
In this part of the country that is called Fried Dough and sprinkled generously with powered sugar. Other parts of the country it is called Funnel Cake. Same thing. Sprinkled with powered sugar. Big favorite of my kids as they were growing up.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: California's Big Valley
Posts: 810
We call it Indian Bread, make the disc bigger and fill it something like a taco.
__________________
Oldvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,002
On baking day my Mother would stretch out thin discs of yeast based bread dough and fry it in melted Crisco. When it was a chestnut brown she would flip it and brown the other side. We ate it sprinkled with granulated sugar and cinnamon. When we got older we discovered the Italian fried dough or Pizza Fritta. I guess every culture has a version of this inexpensive and filling treat!

I need to get back to the diet thread!
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,873
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
In this part of the country that is called Fried Dough and sprinkled generously with powered sugar. Other parts of the country it is called Funnel Cake. Same thing. Sprinkled with powered sugar. Big favorite of my kids as they were growing up.
Funnel cake is made with a batter, not a dough and looks like this:


__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,873
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
On baking day my Mother would stretch out thin discs of yeast based bread dough and fry it in melted Crisco. When it was a chestnut brown she would flip it and brown the other side. We ate it sprinkled with granulated sugar and cinnamon. When we got older we discovered the Italian fried dough or Pizza Fritta. I guess every culture has a version of this inexpensive and filling treat!

I need to get back to the diet thread!
I know it as bannock, as Cree friends call it - and Scots. But, made with baking powder, not yeast. When it's cut in wedges, it's called scones.

A Southern acquaintance had been hearing about bannock for quite a while and when she finally saw it made and tasted it, she said, "Well, that's just a big biscuit."
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I know it as bannock, as Cree friends call it - and Scots. But, made with baking powder, not yeast. When it's cut in wedges, it's called scones.

A Southern acquaintance had been hearing about bannock for quite a while and when she finally saw it made and tasted it, she said, "Well, that's just a big biscuit."
When I was a kid we tried to make bannock on a stick over a campfire, what a mess!

I think we got the idea from a book by Bradford and Vena Angier.
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:13 AM   #8
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Fry Bread
... Place oil in a large deep sauce pan and heat to almost boiling. Form dough into 4 inch discs about 1/4 inch thick and fry until golden brown on each side. Drain over paper towels on serving plate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
We call it Indian Bread, make the disc bigger and fill it something like a taco.
I've seen that in packages at the grocery store - it's sold as Naan. Makes me think of a PBS show (??) that demonstrated making the dough, then taking that ball and smacking it on the side of a very hot stone wall inside an "appliance" that looked like a kiln of some sort. I'd end up with major burns if I tried to do that!
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:15 AM   #9
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Funnel cake is made with a batter, not a dough and looks like this:


And in my opinion, funnel cakes are way better than fried dough (known as "Elephant Ears" in the midwest) as a dessert. I like the lighter texture. Unfortunately, it seems like funnel cakes are not made around here. Haven't found any yet - should make my own some night.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:40 AM   #10
The Dude Abides
 
TATTRAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bermuda Native in D.C./NoVA
Posts: 5,324
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
We call it Indian Bread, make the disc bigger and fill it something like a taco.
Indeed.

Such a GREAT base for all things "bread" bound, but yeah, Indian fry Bread. . .from powdered sugar to chickpea spread, cilantro and pulled pork, it ALL works!
__________________

__________________
flickr
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.