"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 09-25-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Brandon's Fry Bread

Fry Bread

2 cups Warm water
2 packages Dry yeast
4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2Tablespoons Sugar
2 teaspoons Salt
6 cups white Flour
oil for frying

Place water in bowl. Sprinkle yeast over water and allow to stand in a warm place for 5 minutes. Add oil, sugar, salt and flour. Knead awhile, adding more water, or flour to proper consistency. It will make a stiff dough. Allow to rise in large bowl covered by a towel in a warm place for 1 hour. Place oil in a large deep sauce pan and heat to almost boiling. Form dough into 4 inch discs about 1/4 inch thick and fry until golden brown on each side. Drain over paper towels on serving plate.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

In this part of the country that is called Fried Dough and sprinkled generously with powered sugar. Other parts of the country it is called Funnel Cake. Same thing. Sprinkled with powered sugar. Big favorite of my kids as they were growing up.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
Sous Chef

We call it Indian Bread, make the disc bigger and fill it something like a taco.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
Master Chef

On baking day my Mother would stretch out thin discs of yeast based bread dough and fry it in melted Crisco. When it was a chestnut brown she would flip it and brown the other side. We ate it sprinkled with granulated sugar and cinnamon. When we got older we discovered the Italian fried dough or Pizza Fritta. I guess every culture has a version of this inexpensive and filling treat!

I need to get back to the diet thread!
Old 09-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
In this part of the country that is called Fried Dough and sprinkled generously with powered sugar. Other parts of the country it is called Funnel Cake. Same thing. Sprinkled with powered sugar. Big favorite of my kids as they were growing up.
Funnel cake is made with a batter, not a dough and looks like this:

Old 09-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
On baking day my Mother would stretch out thin discs of yeast based bread dough and fry it in melted Crisco. When it was a chestnut brown she would flip it and brown the other side. We ate it sprinkled with granulated sugar and cinnamon. When we got older we discovered the Italian fried dough or Pizza Fritta. I guess every culture has a version of this inexpensive and filling treat!

I need to get back to the diet thread!
I know it as bannock, as Cree friends call it - and Scots. But, made with baking powder, not yeast. When it's cut in wedges, it's called scones.

A Southern acquaintance had been hearing about bannock for quite a while and when she finally saw it made and tasted it, she said, "Well, that's just a big biscuit."
Old 09-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I know it as bannock, as Cree friends call it - and Scots. But, made with baking powder, not yeast. When it's cut in wedges, it's called scones.

A Southern acquaintance had been hearing about bannock for quite a while and when she finally saw it made and tasted it, she said, "Well, that's just a big biscuit."
When I was a kid we tried to make bannock on a stick over a campfire, what a mess!

I think we got the idea from a book by Bradford and Vena Angier.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:13 AM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Fry Bread
... Place oil in a large deep sauce pan and heat to almost boiling. Form dough into 4 inch discs about 1/4 inch thick and fry until golden brown on each side. Drain over paper towels on serving plate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
We call it Indian Bread, make the disc bigger and fill it something like a taco.
I've seen that in packages at the grocery store - it's sold as Naan. Makes me think of a PBS show (??) that demonstrated making the dough, then taking that ball and smacking it on the side of a very hot stone wall inside an "appliance" that looked like a kiln of some sort. I'd end up with major burns if I tried to do that!
Old 09-26-2013, 12:15 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Funnel cake is made with a batter, not a dough and looks like this:

And in my opinion, funnel cakes are way better than fried dough (known as "Elephant Ears" in the midwest) as a dessert. I like the lighter texture. Unfortunately, it seems like funnel cakes are not made around here. Haven't found any yet - should make my own some night.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:40 AM   #10
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
Indeed.

Such a GREAT base for all things "bread" bound, but yeah, Indian fry Bread. . .from powdered sugar to chickpea spread, cilantro and pulled pork, it ALL works!