Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
Matnakash
Armenian flat bread.

1 pack dry east
½ t. spoon sugar
1 full t. spoon salt
4 cups flour
2 cups warm water
2-3 T. spoon oil
Mix water, east and sugar till dissolved. Add salt and flour, mix well. The dough will still be sticky, cover the bowl with towel or plastic wrap and let it seat in a warm place for an hour. After that push the dough down and mix again for a little bit, let it rest and rise for another half an hour.
Poor the oil on the baking dish you will use, drop the dough on top of it. Work it with you r hands by pushing down. It should be somewhat oval in shape. Then with your fingers push down the border and the straight lines, it should not be more than an inch high. Let it proof for another 20 minutes or so. Brush the top with some water. Bake at 425 deg for about 20-25 minutes. Bread came out to be about 10 inches wide and about 14 inches long, approximately.

Attachments

• DSC00289.JPG
    DSC00289.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 346
  • DSC00290.JPG
    DSC00290.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 201
Thank you.
Neither have I, but this one was so easy I decided to try, worked really well. With some salted butter it was yumm.

Maybe it is, but I would not like pizza like that. It did not tasted pizzaish. But hey, to each it's own.

Well, to me, the pizza crust is what makes a "pizza" and is what I try my best to perfect. Pizza dough is a flat bread dough. Your Armenian bread and original Italian pizza dough may have a similar origin since they come from the same part of the world. Your photo looks great!

Last edited:
Interesting, do you make your own Pizza dought? Do you have the recipe? I actually would not mind to start making my own pizza dough. I have been cheating until now and buying Rhodes frozen Italian bread/pizza dough. Works well.

Personally, I start off with a poolish (pre-ferment - see recipe below) the day before I make the pizza dough (that's two days before I make the pizza), but for less fanatical bread bakers, a single package of instant rise yeast will work.

Pizza Dough Recipe

3½ cups (16 ounces) high-gluten flour, plus more flour for rolling out.
1-1/4 cups warm water
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pkg. instant rise yeast
1 teaspoon salt

In a stand mixer (e.g., KitchenAid) fitted with the paddle attachment, mix on low speed until all ingredients, except for the oil, come together and form a scrappy dough. Once mixture has formed a dough, add olive oil and mix for a few seconds longer until it's incorporated. Switch to the dough hook attachment and set mixer to medium speed. Allow mixer to knead the dough for a full 15 minutes. Place dough in a large oiled bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Place dough in the refrigerator for 24 hours. When you're ready to make the pizza, roll out dough on lightly floured surface and stretch to desired size and thickness. Let it rest for a minimum of 15 minutes before moving to a pizza peel (paddle) that has been sprinkled with flour and/or corn meal. Dress with sauce & toppings, or whatever your pleasure is for a pizza. Bake on a 1-hour-preheated pizza stone at a minimum of 500 F. for 7-9 minutes.

Poolish Method
A 50/50 mixture of 1 cup of high-gluten flour and 1 cup filtered water with 1-1/2 teaspoons brewer's yeast (or 1 pkg. of rapid rise yeast) blended with a wooden spoon. Mix in a glass or ceramic bowl, cover with a towel and let set for 24-48 hours at room temperature. Use this yeast starter in place of 1 cup of flour and water in the recipe above, and omit the pkg. of instant rise yeast it calls for. Do NOT add sugar or honey to this poolish mixture!

The amount of warm water needed may vary depending on your weather and humidity. Only experience will help. Add extra water 1 tablespoon at a time while using the mixer, and letting a tablespoon of water thoroughly mix in before considering adding second one. The dough ball should NOT stick to the sides of the mixing bowl.

This recipe is for pizza fanatics.

Last edited:
Charlie, I make Italian flat bread that is much like yours. I love it and you can make it plain or fancy. At times I put pieces of sliced garlic and salt on top for the last say 12-15 min. Rosemary can be added in to chopped pieces of, salami, cheese you name it it is wonderful Thanks for you recipe I plan to try it tommorow.
kaades

Selkie

you know your stuff, 36yrs ago I had some Patisserie training in Paris, I then worked in a bakery for 6month in the South of France.My favorite Pizza topping is potato, I have a 1 metre Bompani oven and use a pizza stone but the result is good but not as good as a pizza baked in a wood fired oven. I am lucky I have a second home in Hvar Croatia wood burning ovens and grills are very common in restaurants in Croatia.

I am glad to see that bread is being taken seriously in the U S, 20 yrs ago you had to search to find good bread, just like here!

We eat our bread with every meal, my Croatian wife values bread so highly that it is never thrown away, it is frozen to be used for soups, breadcrumbs, puddings, terrines ect

bread

Matnakash
Armenian flat bread.

1 pack dry east
½ t. spoon sugar
1 full t. spoon salt
4 cups flour
2 cups warm water
2-3 T. spoon oil
Mix water, east and sugar till dissolved. Add salt and flour, mix well. The dough will still be sticky, cover the bowl with towel or plastic wrap and let it seat in a warm place for an hour. After that push the dough down and mix again for a little bit, let it rest and rise for another half an hour.
Poor the oil on the baking dish you will use, drop the dough on top of it. Work it with you r hands by pushing down. It should be somewhat oval in shape. Then with your fingers push down the border and the straight lines, it should not be more than an inch high. Let it proof for another 20 minutes or so. Brush the top with some water. Bake at 425 deg for about 20-25 minutes. Bread came out to be about 10 inches wide and about 14 inches long, approximately.
Good home made bread, sex is the only thing better than that:)

Does this recipe make a nice bubbly crust? My favorite part of the pizza is the big bubbles that sometimes form around the edges of the crust. Please someone let me know.

Back
Top Bottom