"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 10-26-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Bread Improvers/Enhancers

I noticed the store where I buy my flour has a kilo package
of bread enhancer.
Does anyone use this when making yeast bread?
thanks

Old 10-26-2014, 09:17 PM   #2
Head Chef

I don't buy the improvers, but I do keep vital wheat glutin, which is the primary ingredient in most, to improve the gluten structure (and thus the rising) of breads with whole wheat flour or rye flour. Those whole grain flours negatively affect gluten network formation, so adding gluten helps a lot. Improvers can also have malt, whey, acidifiers and other flavor elements like inactive yeast, but I don't feel I need those.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:55 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I make my bread by hand so don't use improvers as I use strong bread flours which have a lot of naturally occurring gluten but I have heard that they are useful in bread machines.

The only thing that does occur to me is that a kilo is a lot. How long would it take you to use it all? It might be that once opened it might deteriorate fairly quickly. Is there a "use by" date on it?
Old 10-29-2014, 03:59 AM   #4
Senior Cook

I looked up the advantages on the internet and it looked like it was used mostly by commercial bakers. When they showed pictures of with and without the with looked really nice. Bread improvers, yeast baking - Lesaffre Yeast
The humidity swings here give me fits sometimes and was thinking this might help.
Ya a kilo is a lot and that's why I asked here because I doubt I can use the whole pack.
I make everything by hand also.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
Head Chef

I think to their website examples I'll apply the primary critical thinking rule: Don't blindly believe anything someone tells you when they will benefit by your belief. I do not expect such dramatic results with common bread flour breads, but they are about right for whole wheat breads. Of course, commercial operations of mass production have special requirements and cannot take advantage or artisanal methods.

You know, bread in France is defined by law. The "bread decree" of 1993 sets strict definitions of bread labeled in various ways, but is mostly limited to wheat flour, salt, yeast and water. There are also specifications for rye and other flours that can be used for those types of breads.

When thinking about enhancers, especially gluten, remember that there are a number of factors that affect such things as texture, rise, hole size, etc. Gluten content is one, Kneading technique is one. Hydration is one. See what end product you want, study the many sources on the effect of these factors, and do some batches to zero in on what you want. It is almost certain that you can do anything you might want with nothing but wheat flour, salt, yeast and water.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:07 PM   #6
Head Chef

I've begun using a conditioner, as well as vital wheat gluten, and I'm quite pleased with the results. The conditioner may not be necessary, but it doesn't hurt. If it gives me a couple of days of life before the bread goes stale, then so much the better. I use them even when I'm using bread flour.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:13 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

I've been seeing cake recipes that call for cake enhancers. Here's King Arthur's description:

"Add 2 to 4 tablespoons cake enhancer to your cake batter or yeast bread dough, and your cakes and loaves will be softer, moister, and stay fresher longer."

According to their nutrition label, it's an emulsifier made up mostly of rice starch.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:03 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Potato flour, potato flakes or just simply mashed potatoes make good bread enhancers, the texture is nice and soft and it doesn't go stale quite as fast.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:28 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Potato flour, potato flakes or just simply mashed potatoes make good bread enhancers, the texture is nice and soft and it doesn't go stale quite as fast.
Spudnuts anyone?

Mashed potatoes do make a big diference in the texture of yeast-raised dough. And since I've been adding vital wheat gluten to my bread recipe, my bread rises better, and has the texture I'm looking for.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:47 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Thanks. I just mastered a Multi Grain Bread and I am satisfied. But I did
purchase the vital wheat gluten and will try it with my next loaf. Will report
Regards, Aria

Tags
bread