Bread Improvers/Enhancers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't buy the improvers, but I do keep vital wheat glutin, which is the primary ingredient in most, to improve the gluten structure (and thus the rising) of breads with whole wheat flour or rye flour. Those whole grain flours negatively affect gluten network formation, so adding gluten helps a lot. Improvers can also have malt, whey, acidifiers and other flavor elements like inactive yeast, but I don't feel I need those.

I make my bread by hand so don't use improvers as I use strong bread flours which have a lot of naturally occurring gluten but I have heard that they are useful in bread machines.

The only thing that does occur to me is that a kilo is a lot. How long would it take you to use it all? It might be that once opened it might deteriorate fairly quickly. Is there a "use by" date on it?

Last edited:
I looked up the advantages on the internet and it looked like it was used mostly by commercial bakers. When they showed pictures of with and without the with looked really nice. Bread improvers, yeast baking - Lesaffre Yeast
The humidity swings here give me fits sometimes and was thinking this might help.
Ya a kilo is a lot and that's why I asked here because I doubt I can use the whole pack.
I make everything by hand also.

Last edited:
I think to their website examples I'll apply the primary critical thinking rule: Don't blindly believe anything someone tells you when they will benefit by your belief. I do not expect such dramatic results with common bread flour breads, but they are about right for whole wheat breads. Of course, commercial operations of mass production have special requirements and cannot take advantage or artisanal methods.

You know, bread in France is defined by law. The "bread decree" of 1993 sets strict definitions of bread labeled in various ways, but is mostly limited to wheat flour, salt, yeast and water. There are also specifications for rye and other flours that can be used for those types of breads.

When thinking about enhancers, especially gluten, remember that there are a number of factors that affect such things as texture, rise, hole size, etc. Gluten content is one, Kneading technique is one. Hydration is one. See what end product you want, study the many sources on the effect of these factors, and do some batches to zero in on what you want. It is almost certain that you can do anything you might want with nothing but wheat flour, salt, yeast and water.

I've begun using a conditioner, as well as vital wheat gluten, and I'm quite pleased with the results. The conditioner may not be necessary, but it doesn't hurt. If it gives me a couple of days of life before the bread goes stale, then so much the better. I use them even when I'm using bread flour.

I've been seeing cake recipes that call for cake enhancers. Here's King Arthur's description:

"Add 2 to 4 tablespoons cake enhancer to your cake batter or yeast bread dough, and your cakes and loaves will be softer, moister, and stay fresher longer."

According to their nutrition label, it's an emulsifier made up mostly of rice starch.

Potato flour, potato flakes or just simply mashed potatoes make good bread enhancers, the texture is nice and soft and it doesn't go stale quite as fast.

Potato flour, potato flakes or just simply mashed potatoes make good bread enhancers, the texture is nice and soft and it doesn't go stale quite as fast.

Spudnuts anyone?:chef::LOL:

Mashed potatoes do make a big diference in the texture of yeast-raised dough. And since I've been adding vital wheat gluten to my bread recipe, my bread rises better, and has the texture I'm looking for.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks. I just mastered a Multi Grain Bread and I am satisfied. But I did
purchase the vital wheat gluten and will try it with my next loaf. Will report
Regards, Aria

Back
Top Bottom