"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 12-10-2007, 01:34 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095 View Post
I used to use mine Only for making the dough, I would use the Basic equiv, and then bake it in the oven still.

I was never too pleased with the results doing the entire start to finish in the bread maker.
Me, too, YT. I have 2 machines that I use to make dough almost daily. I tried for so long to bake the bread in there, too, but it never came out right. So I only bake in the regular oven. It's not just the brand of bread machine because I own 2 different brands and have tried 2 other brands. Since you're a scientist and you're not happy with the machine baked bread either, do you have any idea why this is?

Old 12-10-2007, 01:38 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Don't you just love the smell of baking bread?
Yep! Between the bread and the stew I was making at the same time, my house was smelling pretty good last night

Jennyema. I called up Breadman today and that's what they said, too. They said if I really needed a quick loaf to use the rapid cycle, but he wouldn't recommend it if I have the extra hour.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:45 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Since you're a scientist and you're not happy with the machine baked bread either, do you have any idea why this is?
Not a Scientist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night ...

I am guessing that it has something to do with the fact that the dough is mixed, rises and then is cooked in the same vessel and that the heat circulation is much difft than an oven. Also it begins to bake in a cool ebvironment, rather than in a preheated oven.

I dumped my bread machine a long time ago. I never thought the bread was any better than store-bought.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:51 PM   #14
Executive Chef

That makes sense jennyema. Thanks. So I'll just continue to use them for making dough and not worry about why I can't bake bread in them.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:56 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Isn't homemade bread great? I'm another one who prefers to use the dough cycle and then bake the bread in the oven--according to my boyfriend, the machine doesn't seem to let the dough rise for long enough before baking it in the basic cycle (and I have no idea how long the other cycles would let it rise). I had always assumed it was because I have a relatively cheap machine from Walmart, but I just saw Fisher's Mom's post and maybe it's just a bread machine thing in general.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:08 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Don't you love this forum, nutfry? I thought it was just me, too, until I got here and saw lots of people just use the dough cycle. It made me feel so much better. And welcome to DC!
Old 12-10-2007, 02:24 PM   #17
Cook

I adore my breadmaker! I don't know why none of you get a decent loaf out of yours but mine does a fantastic job, the bread is a fraction of the cost of shop bread and is much more filling.
The rapid bake loaves tend to have a slightly reduced volume and the texture is denser than one done on the usual cycle.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:47 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds like you and I lucked out with our bread machines, Shani.
I know I'll be glad I can bake loaves in my machine come next summer. My oven throws off so much heat the burner knobs don't want to turn
Besides, I'm more of a set it and forget it kind of guy
Old 12-10-2007, 03:09 PM   #19
Sous Chef

I always bake my standard loaf in my bread machine. I use a slightly modified recipe and always use the delay cycle (8-12 hours).
Old 12-10-2007, 04:27 PM   #20
Cook

Could the rapid vs basic be referring to instant vs regular yeast?
I tried making my first loaf of bread this weekend & used regular yeast instead of the instant called for in the recipe.

I'm still waiting for that dough to rise.