Bread machine-rapid or basic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
Other than the obvious time factor, what's the difference in choosing rapid over basic in a bread machine for plain old white bread? Why bother with a longer cycle at all if the rapi works just fine?

Armed with the booklet that came with my machine, a Betty Crocker bread machine cookbook and ZERO knowledge of baking myself.... I'd like to know which cycle I should choose for my first bread making experience.
We're talking about a 2 hour time difference. And of course the bread machine cookbook details the difference between making a 1-1/2 lb loaf and a 2 lb loaf, but never mentions the difference in the the rapid cycle that some bread machines have... is there a difference? :huh:

I can't help you there, pacanis. My bread machines are so basic that they don't give me a choice, plus I don't bake my bread in my bread machines. I just use them to knead the dough and put it through the first rise. I then shape my loaves and put the dough in the appropriate pan(s).

Thanks for replying, Katie.
I figured since the machine is supposed to cook the loaf start to finish, I might as well let it try to do its thing the first time around. Unless it stinks at it.
Then I'll be asking you which bread pans you use :LOL:
I believe you already said glass for loaves.....

Well that was easy enough!
I chose basic, which takes a little over three hours start to finish. I got a beautiful, tasty, perfectly textured loaf. Surprised the heck out of me :LOL:
A couple large slices went very well with my beef stew last night.
I used Betty Crocker's Classic White Bread recipe, which was quite a bit different than the recipe that came with my Breadman.

1-1/2 c water (80 F)
2 tablespoons butter
4 c bread flour
3 tablespoons dry milk
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1-1/2 teaspoon instant yeast

This made a 2 lb loaf. Not knowing what to do with it last night after I ate, I left it on my wood cutting board with the sliced end down. It's still soft this morning :) I'll probably get some type off breadbox for my loaves... I need more counter space :(

Pacanis said:
I'll probably get some type off breadbox for my loaves

Good idea. I have found that bread I make in a machine stales really fast. I normally use a zip lock bag to keep it fresh a few days.......

Fun!

Something I read said to keep it in a paper bag for a few days, then transfer it to plastic to get a little more life out of it.
Either way, owning a cat and dogs tall enough to "counter surf", it isn't really safe just laying there on the counter. Of course some more of the loaf disappeared this morning in the way of toast :)

I leave my bread on the cooling rack for about an hour before placing it in a gallon size plastic bag, which I store in the refrigerator.

WooHoo pacanis! Congrats on your first loaf of bread! Don't you just love the smell of baking bread? Yes, home made bread will stale faster. I think it might be because we don't add preservatives. I use a zip lock bag to store my bread after it cools down. I'm not sure how long it will last because it's always gone by the next day.

The bread made on the rapid cycle probably won't have as good a taste.

Bread develops flavor and texture via fermenting and rising. The longer the better.

I used to use mine Only for making the dough, I would use the Basic equiv, and then bake it in the oven still.

I was never too pleased with the results doing the entire start to finish in the bread maker.

I used to use mine Only for making the dough, I would use the Basic equiv, and then bake it in the oven still.

I was never too pleased with the results doing the entire start to finish in the bread maker.
Me, too, YT. I have 2 machines that I use to make dough almost daily. I tried for so long to bake the bread in there, too, but it never came out right. So I only bake in the regular oven. It's not just the brand of bread machine because I own 2 different brands and have tried 2 other brands. Since you're a scientist and you're not happy with the machine baked bread either, do you have any idea why this is?

Don't you just love the smell of baking bread?

Yep! Between the bread and the stew I was making at the same time, my house was smelling pretty good last night :)

Jennyema. I called up Breadman today and that's what they said, too. They said if I really needed a quick loaf to use the rapid cycle, but he wouldn't recommend it if I have the extra hour.

Since you're a scientist and you're not happy with the machine baked bread either, do you have any idea why this is?

Not a Scientist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night ...

I am guessing that it has something to do with the fact that the dough is mixed, rises and then is cooked in the same vessel and that the heat circulation is much difft than an oven. Also it begins to bake in a cool ebvironment, rather than in a preheated oven.

I dumped my bread machine a long time ago. I never thought the bread was any better than store-bought.

Isn't homemade bread great? :) I'm another one who prefers to use the dough cycle and then bake the bread in the oven--according to my boyfriend, the machine doesn't seem to let the dough rise for long enough before baking it in the basic cycle (and I have no idea how long the other cycles would let it rise). I had always assumed it was because I have a relatively cheap machine from Walmart, but I just saw Fisher's Mom's post and maybe it's just a bread machine thing in general.

Don't you love this forum, nutfry? I thought it was just me, too, until I got here and saw lots of people just use the dough cycle. It made me feel so much better. And welcome to DC!

I adore my breadmaker! I don't know why none of you get a decent loaf out of yours but mine does a fantastic job, the bread is a fraction of the cost of shop bread and is much more filling.
The rapid bake loaves tend to have a slightly reduced volume and the texture is denser than one done on the usual cycle.

Sounds like you and I lucked out with our bread machines, Shani.
I know I'll be glad I can bake loaves in my machine come next summer. My oven throws off so much heat the burner knobs don't want to turn :ohmy:
Besides, I'm more of a set it and forget it kind of guy :LOL:

I always bake my standard loaf in my bread machine. I use a slightly modified recipe and always use the delay cycle (8-12 hours).

Could the rapid vs basic be referring to instant vs regular yeast?
I tried making my first loaf of bread this weekend & used regular yeast instead of the instant called for in the recipe.

I'm still waiting for that dough to rise.:whistling:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom