Bread question for those in the know

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
YUM!! (Did you add eggs? The bread looks a bit yellow but it could be the lighting or my eyes :wacko:)

I didn't shape mine, just plopped it into an oval casserole dish and covered it.

I though it got it's shaped from the pot etc. it was placed in. I thought it would just spread and be a flat wide loaf if it wasn't in a pot.

I just ran across a recipe where the dough was shaped and cooked on a hot pizza stone. It looked wonderful. I am going to try it next time.

Do I need to add any additional flour if I just want to place it on a stone?

No eggs just the lighting. I don't use a flash, so the lighting that I had in my old kitchen had a yellowish tint. I wouldn't add any additional flour, many people make it on a stone.

No eggs just the lighting. I don't use a flash, so the lighting that I had in my old kitchen had a yellowish tint. I wouldn't add any additional flour, many people make it on a stone.

Okay I tried it again. Got a better product. I used more yeast than before and less salt. Turned the oven down to 400 degrees after about half the cooking time and put a bowl of water in the oven for moisture. I love the chewy crust and the texture was better. It's going to be hard to eat store bought bread when fresh homemade is this easy. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
I have to tell you folks...I am absolutely sold on this no-knead bread. I spent 5 minutes this morning mixing some up. Came home and used a bit of the dough to make a couple of hamburger buns and the rest made a nice loaf. The buns were fabulous. And the bread is just what I want in a bread...c h e w y crusty surface and soft holey interior. Now I am wondering if I should try to use this recipe to make English muffins...hmmmm looks like a project for this next week.

I have to tell you folks...I am absolutely sold on this no-knead bread. I spent 5 minutes this morning mixing some up. Came home and used a bit of the dough to make a couple of hamburger buns and the rest made a nice loaf. The buns were fabulous. And the bread is just what I want in a bread...c h e w y crusty surface and soft holey interior. Now I am wondering if I should try to use this recipe to make English muffins...hmmmm looks like a project for this next week.

I would love to hear about your experience with the English muffins. It's a wonderful base dough for lots of baked goods.

It's pretty great! Let us know how the English muffins work out. I just may try this myself using my new English muffin rings.

It's pretty great! Let us know how the English muffins work out. I just may try this myself using my new English muffin rings.
I tried the dough as English muffins. Wasn't impressed with them. They are okay just not what I want in an English muffin. However I wonder if I have been so tainted by store bought ones that I don't know what to expect from the home made version. Also I may have cooked them at too low heat for too long. Just experimenting anyway. They are perfectly edible but it may take a few more tries to see if I can get it tight.

Last edited:
I tried the dough as English muffins. Wasn't impressed with them. They are okay just not what I want in an English muffin. However I wonder if I have been so tainted by store bought ones that I don't know what to expect from the home made version. Also I may have cooked them at too low heat for too long. Just experimenting anyway. They are perfectly edible but it may take a few more tries to see if I can get it tight.

I tried Alton Brown's recipe not too long ago. They looked good and weren't terrible, but like you, I'm looking for store bought texture, but with improved flavor and homemade.

I have made very good English muffins using the recipe in Joy of Cooking, substituting whole grain wheat flour for the all purpose flour. I even had good luck when I subbed out the butter with bacon fat.

I made them once on a griddle. Per Julia, I used cutout tuna cans. Came out pretty good. But I just did it as an experiment. :angel:

I bought english muffin rings while in Maine, and they work well. They also work well as egg rings, so if we make a breakfast sandwich, the eggs are the same size as the muffin with no overhang. It's the little things that make me happy, :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom