"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-09-2016, 02:50 PM   #1
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calosso, Piemonte
Posts: 805
Smile Breadcrumbs for breading meat, fish, vegetables

I occasionally like to do breaded meat, fish, and certain vegetables, and over the years I've developed the following recipe that does very well:

Stale bread, cubed and lightly toasted
dried mixed herbs
garlic powder
grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper

This is so easy! Put the toasted bread cubes in the food processor, and blend until you have fine breadcrumbs. Mix in the other ingredients. That's it.
you can make your own flavoured breadcrumbs this way. My OH likes them done this way.

di reston


Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

__________________

di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,239
I agree. I always buy my plain unseasoned bread crumbs and add my own seasoning. I use Parmesan and Romano cheese in mine and LOTS of herbs and spices. I like to know what's in there.
__________________

__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:44 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
I keep Progresso Seasoned crumbs on hand. I just added freshly grated cheese, depending on what I am breading. I never put cheese on fish or seafood.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:32 PM   #4
Head Chef
 
CakePoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Wexio
Posts: 1,882
Panko is my stable, so yummy.
__________________
For the love of Cheese!
CakePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:34 PM   #5
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,287
We use unseasoned Panko crumbs most often and season to what we are making. We also use cracker crumbs (Ritz blitzed in the food processor) for most "breaded" seafood or fritters.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus and C. batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:41 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
We use unseasoned Panko crumbs most often and season to what we are making. We also use cracker crumbs (Ritz blitzed in the food processor) for most "breaded" seafood or fritters.
I guess my taste buds are way off. I find Ritz crackers are just too sweet. I don't even buy them for snacking .
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:13 PM   #7
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,763
When bread is starting to go stale I freeze it for use later as bread crumbs or french toast.
__________________
"'Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." - Michael Pollan

Old bachelor cook
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:38 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker View Post
When bread is starting to go stale I freeze it for use later as bread crumbs or french toast.
Same here.

And just because the Italians don't eat cheese with seafood doesn't mean it's not allowed I've been thinking about making a delicious dish I had in a restaurant once - Greek shrimp baked in tomato sauce and feta.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:43 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Same here.

And just because the Italians don't eat cheese with seafood doesn't mean it's not allowed I've been thinking about making a delicious dish I had in a restaurant once - Greek shrimp baked in tomato sauce and feta.
I'm Italian and I don't follow that rule either. I put Parmesan and Romano on white clam sauce, in stuffed clams and also in my crumbs for breeding fish. Not sure why some people don't but we like cheese with fish.

Also mac and cheese with tuna. I have never had a tuna melt but I hear it's good.

To each their own.

Your Greek dish sounds good.
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:44 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 37,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I'm Italian and I don't follow that rule either. I put Parmesan and Romano on white clam sauce, in stuffed clams and also in my crumbs for breeding fish. Not sure why some people don't but we like cheese with fish.

Also mac and cheese with tuna. I have never had a tuna melt but I hear it's good.

To each their own.

Your Greek dish sounds good.
A tuna melt is to die for...
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:17 PM   #11
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 9,431
I like to cut bread, sprinkle some good love oil, seasoning that you like, mix well and into oven it goes. When good and dried. Put into food processor and grind.


Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:54 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I'm Italian and I don't follow that rule either. I put Parmesan and Romano on white clam sauce, in stuffed clams and also in my crumbs for breeding fish. Not sure why some people don't but we like cheese with fish.

Also mac and cheese with tuna. I have never had a tuna melt but I hear it's good.

To each their own.

Your Greek dish sounds good.
I just grew up not putting cheese on sea products. In fact I will even forget to put it on pasta with meatballs. I just love those folks who live with very strict (in their mind only) food rules. "Oh, you should never put blah, blah, blah on that!" That is when I just pile it on sometimes to the point of ruining the dish.

If I am eating at someone's home and they offer the cheese to me, I will take just enough to be polite.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:09 PM   #13
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 9,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I just grew up not putting cheese on sea products. In fact I will even forget to put it on pasta with meatballs. I just love those folks who live with very strict (in their mind only) food rules. "Oh, you should never put blah, blah, blah on that!" That is when I just pile it on sometimes to the point of ruining the dish.

If I am eating at someone's home and they offer the cheese to me, I will take just enough to be polite.

Oh, you're funny. Where is the "thumb up" emoji, when you need one?
I know how you feel. It may no tbe "classical" way to cook or serve the dish, but what the .... it's your dish, you are cooking, you are going to be eating, you do what you want. My youngest daughter, doesn't eat pizza with cheese, go figure. Whenever I make Pizza I have to make one for her without cheese, and no it cannot be plain bread, she wants pizza. (sorry, kind of went of topic)
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:08 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Oh, you're funny. Where is the "thumb up" emoji, when you need one?
I know how you feel. It may no tbe "classical" way to cook or serve the dish, but what the .... it's your dish, you are cooking, you are going to be eating, you do what you want. My youngest daughter, doesn't eat pizza with cheese, go figure. Whenever I make Pizza I have to make one for her without cheese, and no it cannot be plain bread, she wants pizza. (sorry, kind of went of topic)
Charlie, my youngest son Poo doesn't like any tomato sauce on his. In these parts, it is called a while pizza. He has never like tomato or tomato anything like pasta sauce on anything.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:14 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston and Cape Cod
Posts: 10,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker View Post
When bread is starting to go stale I freeze it for use later as bread crumbs or french toast.
That's what I do too.

But I also have some Panko on hand, too
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 01:49 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Panko definitely tastes better, But I find that it doesn't give me that really thick coat of breading that I like. If I do a second round of egg and Panko, most of the Panko from the first round falls off.

Anyone care to offer a solution?
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:00 AM   #17
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calosso, Piemonte
Posts: 805
In reply to Addie: that's exactly what it's called in Itay - la pizza bianca. In fact, many dishes without tomatoes carry that description: bianco. Sorry to divert the thread


di reston


Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar wilde
di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:42 AM   #18
Executive Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Panko definitely tastes better, But I find that it doesn't give me that really thick coat of breading that I like. If I do a second round of egg and Panko, most of the Panko from the first round falls off.

Anyone care to offer a solution?
For your 1st coating, try using Panko that has been crushed smaller, or even just go with the regular breading.
Then use regular Panko for your 2nd coating.

You could also refrigerate for 10 minutes or more between coatings. Makes preparation a bit longer but helps to set the egg and crumb.
You are already timing it in advance, it just means to add another 10 or 15 minutes to your prep.

I'm sure this is not news to you (but just in case)... Always be sure to let your final breading "set" by refrigerating approx 20 minutes. Whether or not it is 1 or 2 coats. This helps to prevent all your hard work from staying behind in the pan.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:52 PM   #19
Master Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 8,648
I like fresh bread crumbs so I just run a few slices of bread through my food processor with the grating attachment installed.
__________________
I Luv Sandy Eggo!
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 01:45 PM   #20
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,345
Since I don't eat bread, I use the low carb version of bread crumbs: pork rinds run through a food processor.

Yeah, I used to think it sounded weird, but I'm a convert. The flavor and texture is almost identical to bread crumbs on fried foods such fish and chicken.
__________________

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bread, breadcrumbs, fish, meat, vegetables

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×