Cast Iron Rolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I came upon this recipe two or So years ago, and I must say they are very VARY GOOD! For those that have not tried these yet please do. You’re taste buds with thanks a few times :yum:

How much in advance can I make the dough and keep in fridge till baking?

Is there a preference of which kind of flour to use ( All purpose, bread, whole wheat ...). Im fine with anything, Just want them to turn out good.

Generally speaking, if the recipe is for rolls/bread, I use bread flour. However, sometimes I use White Lily all-purpose flour, which is my alternate flour of choice.

Ive been using AP flour with this recipe. Everyone here loves the texture. I'm not changing the recipe.

How much in advance can I make the dough and keep in fridge till baking? I want to make them for Thanksgiving.

How much in advance can I make the dough and keep in fridge till baking? I want to make them for Thanksgiving.

MsM, I'm no baking expert, but I would think
that you could make up the dough, don't leave it out to rise that first time,
stash it in the `fridge the night before, take it out
to come to room temp, do their rise, about an hour and a half, and form the rolls, rise again and bake.
That's my thought, and I'm sticking to it ... but then you may want to do a test run before hand ;)

MsM, I'm no baking expert, but I would think
that you could make up the dough, don't leave it out to rise that first time,
stash it in the `fridge the night before, take it out
to come to room temp, do their rise, about an hour and a half, and form the rolls, rise again and bake.
That's my thought, and I'm sticking to it ... but then you may want to do a test run before hand ;)

I do the dough in the bread machine so the first rise is done in the machine. But I was wondering how many days in advance I can make the dough.

I want to make dough ahead and bake them fresh on Thanksgiving.

I do the dough in the bread machine so the first rise is done in the machine. But I was wondering how many days in advance I can make the dough.

Ooh!
That could cut down on the 2 hours right there,
not to mention, that's inactive time with the machine ...
I don't have one, so there you are.
I'd just have a written time line of each dish ... I'm
a little OCD, but that's my thoughts

From my experience with yeast breads, you can make the dough several days in advance. then freeze the dough before the first rise. To save time, remove the dough the day before you are ready to bake the rolls. When it is thawed, put in in the fridge and let it rise overnight. Then, when you are ready to bake, roll the dough into appropriate size balls, place in baking pan, brush with butter, and let rise until doubled Then bake to golden brown.

this method works with raw bread dough purchased frozen from the grocers. There should be no reason that it wouldn't work with these really good looking rolls. I would use SAF brand yeast. Their site will tell you which one to use with this technique.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief has the right idea. A few years ago when I made yeast rolls, something came up and I wasn't able to bake them the night I made them. They were in the fridge for two days and rose to be HUGE. They baked up okay, but they were misshapen because they were pressing against the plastic wrap I had covered them with.

I made some today too. They were lovely. Thanks for the idea!

Attachments

• 7519076A-2B4E-4739-A6D0-E3452F40C5F9.jpg
    7519076A-2B4E-4739-A6D0-E3452F40C5F9.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 101
Gotcha covered, Alix! [emoji16] Yummo!
View attachment 44138

May I ask how you turn photos, when posted to DC? I take photos on my Android, email them to my laptop and download onto my home page.

If I use them any place, (FB, other blogs, etc.) other than DC, they post correctly. On DC they always post upside down. I use the "Manage Attachments, browse, upload" features when posting photos on DC.

I have downloaded DC onto my phone and can directly post them to DC there but, not into DC on my laptop.

TIA,

Ross

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom