Cast Iron Rolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
how to make bread out of cast iron:

ayup - it works!

being cup-challenged, I used:

425g AP flour (based on the pull from bowl)
63 g sugar
7 g dry active yeast
1 tsp salt

60 g beer
237 g water (yeah,,, I weight the liquids, too....)

my notes:
(at sea level +900'ft,, about...)
got a bit more poof/oven spring than s&p -
at 22 minutes the thump said the rolls were done, but they were pale.

so I did the second butter brush in the oven, hit broil, rotated pan to get nice color.
I'm thinking to try 425'F bake temp next time....

Attachments

• CI_2667.jpg
    CI_2667.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 303
taste was excellent. nice airy dinner roll. soft exterior, not a 'cruncher'

used a "lite" beer - did not notice much aroma/flavor from the hops. a stronger beer might be more pronounced.

I just took them out of the oven. I used milk instead of beer as I didn't want to open a beer. I haven't brushed the tops with butter and salted them yet. Not sure why the picture looks like this. If you click on it, it looks more realistic.

Thanks for the recipe.

Attachments

• DSC04399.jpg
    DSC04399.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
I just took them out of the oven. I used milk instead of beer as I didn't want to open a beer. I haven't brushed the tops with butter and salted them yet. Not sure why the picture looks like this. If you click on it, it looks more realistic.

Thanks for the recipe.

Nice job Andy, how did you like them?

Looks Great S&P, be nice starting a recipe with the right altitude adjustments.

As I said PF, I don't measure, I add flour to the wet ingreidents until the dough is releasted from the bowl then knead for 10 minutes. For pizza dough I will knead for 30 minutes.

not opposed to using the beer just wondered if used a special one or just a regular beer like Pabst Blue ribbon etc.
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you. Any beer will do. I used Bud, but since you live upstate, why not Genny Cream Ale? Yes I'm an up stater too, use to live in Sullivan County.

it's such a small world . . .

spent a lot of time in Lew Beach - grandparents place....

When I first read the title of this thread I thought it was about the buns my ex mother-in-law used to bake. They were so hard and heavy that you would think they were made out of cast iron...:ohmy:

When I first read the title of this thread I thought it was about the buns my ex mother-in-law used to bake. They were so hard and heavy that you would think they were made out of cast iron...:ohmy:

Was her name Ellie Mae Clampet? :LOL:

I made these rolls again to go with Easter dinner. They were very well received again and again the one comment was that they are too big. So I'll address that next time.

Andy, as you can see from the last pic, I cut them into 16 pcs instead of 8. Worked out OK and much smaller.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom