Here is a wonderful recipe from 'Baking Bread' by Christine Ingram & Jennie Shapter. It is delicious and you are gonna LOVE IT!!! (I have adapted this recipe for my KA but I have also done the kneading by hand, both ways come out great.) Enjoy
Cheese & Onion Loaf
1 Onion, chopped, browned in 2 Tblsp. Butter, cooled.
4 cups Unbleached Bread Flour
2 1/2 tsp. dried Yeast, (rapid rise)
1 tsp. Mustard Powder
1 Tblsp. Sugar
1 1/2 cups grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
2/3 cup Lukewarm Milk
2/3 cup Lukewarm Water
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp. ground Pepper
2 Tblsp. melted Butter (for use after first rise)
1. Lightly grease a 9" x 5" breadpan.
2. Sift the flour into a large bowl and stir in the yeast, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir in 3/4 of the grated cheese and all of the browned onion. Make a well in the center and add the milk and water: blend to a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes.
3. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, covered with lightly oiled plastic wrap. (cooking spray is great) Leave in a warm place to rise for approx. 45 - 60 minutes (doubled in size).
4. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, knock it back, punch it down and knead lightly for about 30 seconds. Divide the dough into 20 equal rounds (pieces). Place half (10 pieces) on the bottom of the bread pan in one layer. Brush with 1 Tblsp. melted butter. Place the remaining 10 pieces of dough on top of the first layer and brush with remaining melted butter.
5. Cover with oiled plastic wrap and set in warm place to rise for 45 minutes.
6. Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
7. Sprinkle remaining Cheese on top of the dough in the bread pan.
8. Bake at 375 for approx. 40 - 45 minutes until golden brown.
Cool on wire rack.