Chilling fresh yeast dough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cas

Assistant Cook
How long can we keep yeast dough in the fridge for? e.g. dough for pizza etc.

We keep the bagel dough at work in the cooler for 2 days (4 with preservatives) and it doesn't continue to rise very much, but that fridge is kept at just over freezing.
Last week I forgot about some in the fridge here at home and it REALLY grew on me.

after 24 hours i understand that the yeast dies/loses effectiveness. also the yeast taste will be more pronounced.

Not an easy answer to this one.

The short answer is yeast dough will last for days (and days) when chilled, and the longer the better.

I use to make fresh bread, you know, activate the yeast in sugar or honey water, make into a dough, rise, bake.

Then I started making sponges, then making sponges and fridge aging the dough.

Monday I made fresh bread for the first time in months .... I won't do that again, least not by choice.

after 24 hours i understand that the yeast dies/loses effectiveness.

Not really.

I believe I've found yeasts effective life has lots to do with how the yeast was woken up.

Starting yeast in sugat water wakes it up quickly but it sems the yeast does not last as long.

Starting yeast in a sugarless sponge seems to make the yeast more robust. I should say this is the first time I started a sponge using no 'sweet' and only flour and water, it amazed me. More study is needed.

also the yeast taste will be more pronounced.

And that's a very good thing.

No it grows just fine...
the fridge at work has gone out and the dough rises until we have 6 inch tall bagels.
That sucks when that happens. Gotta start all over again. :(

Back
Top Bottom