Cinnamon rolls that are too hard on the bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cindy4331

Assistant Cook
Im working as a cook at a church camp this month and they want home-made cinnamon rolls for breakfast on Saturday mornings. My first attempt this morning they rose really really well and looked good but the bottoms turned out too dark and hard and the tops were still pretty white. I have two big ovens. One a convection but they both turned out pretty much the same. I'm cooking at 350 degrees and using large silver pans. Also I'm using brown sugar in the filling maybe I should just use regular sugar? I'm not using the bottom rack of the oven. Any help would be greatly appreciated !
Cindy

Take a couple of minutes to watch the video on Clone of A Cinnabon on AllRecipes .com.

I admire you for attempting this for a large group at breakfast, I am not sure that I would want to get up early enough to get them on the table!:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Good luck!

Thanks, I did watch the video. I got up at 4 this morning to make them and barely had them done by 8:00! Wish there was an easier way but there's not enough refrigerator room for 80 rolls to rise overnight.

I make 150 to 200 at a batch. I'm a cook in the Army. Convection ovens cook hot. Turn your oven down. 325 .
I'd pm my recipe but its in locker at work and I'm on leave till the 15th. I can after that.

Thanks, I did watch the video. I got up at 4 this morning to make them and barely had them done by 8:00! Wish there was an easier way but there's not enough refrigerator room for 80 rolls to rise overnight.

Could you talk them into an easier treat?

I am thinking sour cream coffee cake with streusel topping, it could be adapted to sheet pans and made the night before.

Another possibility might be muffins.

Good luck !

I haven't made this recipe yet, but trust me I'm a talented amateur chef and I can tell how good recipes are even with a read. I think you should try this cinnamon roll recipe:

Cinnamon Rolls 101 | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond

Her recipe has all the elements of a tasteful cinnamon roll. But the brown glaze is a turn off for me. I want white glaze. I like maple flavor, but that glaze looks like an overkill. I would eliminate the coffee. That is where the color comes from. I also dust my board with powdered sugar instead of flour. :yum::yum:

I'll contact Ree and let her know of your concerns. ;) ;) ;)

Seriously, her rolls look so good I'll surely try them one day. However that much sugar would be too rich for me and I'd probably feel yucky if I ate more than one or two of them. I stay slim by not going overboard on things like this. I haven't had a sweet roll or donut for years.

I'll wait for some day when I have sufficient company that they'll eat most of them up and save me from needing self control. :)

I'll contact Ree and let her know of your concerns. ;) ;) ;)

Seriously, her rolls look so good I'll surely try them one day. However that much sugar would be too rich for me and I'd probably feel yucky if I ate more than one or two of them. I stay slim by not going overboard on things like this. I haven't had a sweet roll or donut for years.

I'll wait for some day when I have sufficient company that they'll eat most of them up and save me from needing self control. :)

I have been wanting to make some for Son #1. But whether he knows it or not, I try to feed him healthy food. After eight heart attacks, you would think it would be a concern for him also. I am appalled at what he eats. And how much at one sitting. I should just bang my head against a brick wall. I don't lecture him. He is too old for that. And besides, I am his mother, not his wife. Self control can be the ruination of a good meal and a good time. :rolleyes:

Wow 150-200 rolls at a time! I would love to see your recipe and how you go about making that many! Ree Drummond's rolls do look delicious! But i need larger single rolls that would fill the kids up being that is their only breakfast on Saturday morning. I wish I could change the menu! A couple large coffee cakes would be so much easier. I will suggest that for next !

Cindy4331 said:
Wow 150-200 rolls at a time! I would love to see your recipe and how you go about making that many! Ree Drummond's rolls do look delicious! But i need larger single rolls that would fill the kids up being that is their only breakfast on Saturday morning. I wish I could change the menu! A couple large coffee cakes would be so much easier. I will suggest that for next !

I'll write it up for you when I am back at work.

Cindy4331 said:
Im working as a cook at a church camp this month and they want home-made cinnamon rolls for breakfast on Saturday mornings. My first attempt this morning they rose really really well and looked good but the bottoms turned out too dark and hard and the tops were still pretty white. I have two big ovens. One a convection but they both turned out pretty much the same. I'm cooking at 350 degrees and using large silver pans. Also I'm using brown sugar in the filling maybe I should just use regular sugar? I'm not using the bottom rack of the oven. Any help would be greatly appreciated !
Cindy

Thanks for all your advice!!

I put the rack in the middle of the oven and bake at 350*Conventional Oven, until golden brown. Don't ever use dark pans to bake, everything will be burnt for sure. !!

Back
Top Bottom