Could someone test this recipe for me, please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EvillyChic

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,

I would like to ask you for a favor and try a croissant recipe. I want to hear more from others' oven.

Here is the ingredient list for recipe:

Dough:
  • 200g (preferably bread) flour
  • 7g fresh yeast
  • 120 ml cold milk
  • 15g sugar
  • 4g of salt (3g if you use salted butter in the dough)
  • 20g unsalted butter, at room temperature
Butter:
  • 112g cold unsalted butter
Egg wash:
  • ½ egg
  • 1 tbsp. water
Recipes
  • Cold ingredients.
  • Mix all and knead to medium gluten development
  • No bulk fermentation, flat the dough out and chill in the fridge for 2 hours while plasticize the butter.
  • Use the English butter lock-in method, not the usual French one.
  • Perform a double fold, then chill for 1 hour.
  • Perform a single fold, then chill over night.
  • Next morning, roll the dough out and shaping.
  • Proof for 2 hours. Oven preheated at 220 degree C.
  • Bake at 200 degree C for 20 minutes.
I have worked on it for some times now with good results, but this recipe does seem unusual. Feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Rose,

Hi Rose,

I have had some thoughts of doing laminated dough for some time and I like the size of the recipe you have posted. I need to see if I can find some European style butter and would probably use 2 grams of instant yeast instead of fresh yeast, but I will try to test it.

I would appreciate a description of the English lock-in method for the butter. I know there is one that uses a square of butter and a square of dough and one that uses rectangles, but I am not familiar with their names.

Hi Rose,

I have had some thoughts of doing laminated dough for some time and I like the size of the recipe you have posted. I need to see if I can find some European style butter and would probably use 2 grams of instant yeast instead of fresh yeast, but I will try to test it.

I would appreciate a description of the English lock-in method for the butter. I know there is one that uses a square of butter and a square of dough and one that uses rectangles, but I am not familiar with their names.

If you consider Ireland part of Europe, most supermarkets sell it. Very rich, lower water content.

Hi Rose,

I will give this a try in the next few days. I usually make Julia Child's version; however, for some reason they will never rise for me, unless I make mini croissants. I'll give your version a go and see if your croissants co-operate!

Christy

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom