"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2019, 12:18 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Dark Potato Rye

Here is that recipe you asked about, CharlieD. I think that this is the batch that my KA died on, which is probably why I forgot to list the recipe! It's an old recipe, which I have tweaked to my taste, like all those caraway seeds! And I think the original had 2 tb dark brown sugar, and I just put 1 tb blackstrap in it. Not really dark - just a lot of dark flours.

Dark Potato Rye

3/4 cup(s) cornmeal
3 1/2 cup(s) water
2 cup(s) mashed potatoes
4 tsp yeast, instant
1 tb blackstrap molasses
3 tb oil
2 tb caraway seeds
1 1/2 tb salt
4 cup(s) dark rye flour
4 cup(s) WW bread flour, OR 2 c regular WW flour, plus
2 c bread flour (and maybe a little less water, if
using white bread flour)

A. Combine 1 1/2 c cold water and cornmeal in a small saucepan. Add 2 c boiling water, and cook until thickened. Remove from pan, stir in potatoes, and cool to about room temp.

B. Stir in sugar, salt, yeast, oil, and caraway. Add rye flour, followed by bread flour, 1 c at a time. Let rest 10 min., then knead about 6 min. by machine, 10 by hand - dough will be very sticky. Turn into an oiled bowl, cover, and rise 3 hrs., turning dough after 30 and 45 min.

C. When risen, punch down, divide into 2 or 3 portions, and let rest while greasing pans - two 9x5, or three 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 pans. Shape into loaves, spray with oil, and cover with plastic. Rise until double, about 45 min. Preheat oven to 425.

D. Bake 10 min., lower heat to 350, and bake 40-50 min. longer, or until well crusted and hollow sounding. Cool on a wire rack.A. Combine 1 1/2 c cold water and cornmeal in a small saucepan. Add 2 c boiling water, and cook until thickened. Remove from pan, stir in potatoes, and cool to about room temp.

B. Stir in sugar, salt, yeast, oil, and caraway. Add rye flour, followed by bread flour, 1 c at a time. Let rest 10 min., then knead about 6 min. by machine, 10 by hand - dough will be very sticky. Turn into an oiled bowl, cover, and rise 3 hrs., turning dough after 30 and 45 min.

C. When risen, punch down, divide into 2 or 3 portions, and let rest while greasing pans - two 9x5, or three 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 pans. Shape into loaves, spray with oil, and cover with plastic. Rise until double, about 45 min. Preheat oven to 425.

D. Bake 10 min., lower heat to 350, and bake 40-50 min. longer, or until well crusted and hollow sounding (about 200). Cool on a wire rack.

Potato rye by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Old 08-12-2019, 09:36 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
Here is that recipe you asked about, CharlieD. I think that this is the batch that my KA died on, which is probably why I forgot to list the recipe! It's an old recipe, which I have tweaked to my taste, like all those caraway seeds! And I think the original had 2 tb dark brown sugar, and I just put 1 tb blackstrap in it. Not really dark - just a lot of dark flours.

Dark Potato Rye

3/4cup(s) cornmeal
3 1/2 cup(s) water
2cup(s) mashed potatoes
4tsp yeast, instant
1tb blackstrap molasses
3tb oil
2tb caraway seeds
1 1/2tb salt
4cup(s) dark rye flour
4cup(s) WW bread flour, OR 2 c regular WW flour, plus
2 c bread flour (and maybe a little less water, if
using white bread flour)

A. Combine 1 1/2 c cold water and cornmeal in a small saucepan. Add 2 c boiling water, and cook until thickened. Remove from pan, stir in potatoes, and cool to about room temp.

D. Bake 10 min., lower heat to 350, and bake 40-50 min. longer, or until well crusted and hollow sounding. Cool on a wire rack.A. Combine 1 1/2 c cold water and cornmeal in a small saucepan. Add 2 c boiling water, and cook until thickened. Remove from pan, stir in potatoes, and cool to about room temp.

D. Bake 10 min., lower heat to 350, and bake 40-50 min. longer, or until well crusted and hollow sounding (about 200). Cool on a wire rack.

Potato rye by pepperhead212, on Flickr
You might want to add this recipe to the bread forum, so it doesn't get lost in this thread. Then you could add a link here to the recipe.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:04 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
You might want to add this recipe to the bread forum, so it doesn't get lost in this thread. Then you could add a link here to the recipe.
Check out Yeast breads, Rolls, and Braids. That's where I posted the recipe for this, and other breads, or so I thought. Was this somewhere else, and that's why we couldn't find it?
Old 08-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
Check out Yeast breads, Rolls, and Braids. That's where I posted the recipe for this, and other breads, or so I thought. Was this somewhere else, and that's why we couldn't find it?
Sorry, for some reason I thought this was the What Are You Baking forum. Never mind
Old 08-12-2019, 12:02 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Maybe ask a moderator to fix the instructions. There seems to have been an extra paste of the instructions starting in the first section D.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:30 PM   #6
Master Chef

Thank you
Old 08-15-2019, 04:33 PM   #7
Master Chef

thank you

Tags
potato