Dark Potato Rye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
Here is that recipe you asked about, CharlieD. I think that this is the batch that my KA died on, which is probably why I forgot to list the recipe! It's an old recipe, which I have tweaked to my taste, like all those caraway seeds! And I think the original had 2 tb dark brown sugar, and I just put 1 tb blackstrap in it. Not really dark - just a lot of dark flours.

Dark Potato Rye

3/4 cup(s) cornmeal
3 1/2 cup(s) water
2 cup(s) mashed potatoes
4 tsp yeast, instant
1 tb blackstrap molasses
3 tb oil
2 tb caraway seeds
1 1/2 tb salt
4 cup(s) dark rye flour
4 cup(s) WW bread flour, OR 2 c regular WW flour, plus
2 c bread flour (and maybe a little less water, if
using white bread flour)

A. Combine 1 1/2 c cold water and cornmeal in a small saucepan. Add 2 c boiling water, and cook until thickened. Remove from pan, stir in potatoes, and cool to about room temp.

B. Stir in sugar, salt, yeast, oil, and caraway. Add rye flour, followed by bread flour, 1 c at a time. Let rest 10 min., then knead about 6 min. by machine, 10 by hand - dough will be very sticky. Turn into an oiled bowl, cover, and rise 3 hrs., turning dough after 30 and 45 min.

C. When risen, punch down, divide into 2 or 3 portions, and let rest while greasing pans - two 9x5, or three 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 pans. Shape into loaves, spray with oil, and cover with plastic. Rise until double, about 45 min. Preheat oven to 425º.

D. Bake 10 min., lower heat to 350º, and bake 40-50 min. longer, or until well crusted and hollow sounding. Cool on a wire rack.

Potato rye by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is that recipe you asked about, CharlieD. I think that this is the batch that my KA died on, which is probably why I forgot to list the recipe! It's an old recipe, which I have tweaked to my taste, like all those caraway seeds! And I think the original had 2 tb dark brown sugar, and I just put 1 tb blackstrap in it. Not really dark - just a lot of dark flours.

Dark Potato Rye

3/4cup(s) cornmeal
3 1/2 cup(s) water
2cup(s) mashed potatoes
4tsp yeast, instant
1tb blackstrap molasses
3tb oil
2tb caraway seeds
1 1/2tb salt
4cup(s) dark rye flour
4cup(s) WW bread flour, OR 2 c regular WW flour, plus
2 c bread flour (and maybe a little less water, if
using white bread flour)

A. Combine 1 1/2 c cold water and cornmeal in a small saucepan. Add 2 c boiling water, and cook until thickened. Remove from pan, stir in potatoes, and cool to about room temp.

B. Stir in sugar, salt, yeast, oil, and caraway. Add rye flour, followed by bread flour, 1 c at a time. Let rest 10 min., then knead about 6 min. by machine, 10 by hand - dough will be very sticky. Turn into an oiled bowl, cover, and rise 3 hrs., turning dough after 30 and 45 min.

C. When risen, punch down, divide into 2 or 3 portions, and let rest while greasing pans - two 9x5, or three 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 pans. Shape into loaves, spray with oil, and cover with plastic. Rise until double, about 45 min. Preheat oven to 425º.

D. Bake 10 min., lower heat to 350º, and bake 40-50 min. longer, or until well crusted and hollow sounding. Cool on a wire rack.A. Combine 1 1/2 c cold water and cornmeal in a small saucepan. Add 2 c boiling water, and cook until thickened. Remove from pan, stir in potatoes, and cool to about room temp.

D. Bake 10 min., lower heat to 350º, and bake 40-50 min. longer, or until well crusted and hollow sounding (about 200º). Cool on a wire rack.

Potato rye by pepperhead212, on Flickr
You might want to add this recipe to the bread forum, so it doesn't get lost in this thread. Then you could add a link here to the recipe.

You might want to add this recipe to the bread forum, so it doesn't get lost in this thread. Then you could add a link here to the recipe.
Check out Yeast breads, Rolls, and Braids. That's where I posted the recipe for this, and other breads, or so I thought. Was this somewhere else, and that's why we couldn't find it?

Maybe ask a moderator to fix the instructions. There seems to have been an extra paste of the instructions starting in the first section D.

I bumped this up for 4food, who wanted the recipe. Take note of that doubled section of the recipe - sorry!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom