"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 05-03-2014, 04:06 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Dough climbing up the dough hook.

Hi Folks. I have a Kitchenaid stand mixer. I bought it to knead whole wheat bread dough. When I use it to knead dough, the dough climbs up the dough hook. It only takes thirty seconds and I must stop the mixer and scrape the dough off the hook with a rubber spatula. I've cleaned the dough hook carefully. I've put shortening on it. I've tried using one cup of flour or four cups but nothing works to stop it. What do you suggest? Thank you all!

Old 05-03-2014, 08:48 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Your hydration level may be a bit too high. Add a bit more flour.
Try speeding your mixer up. It should force the dough ball down and then you can slow it down after a few seconds.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Coat the top part of the dough hook with some vegetable oil. Not a complete cure but it helps.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I agree that it might be dough hydration. I always assumed that the flat flare out at the top of the dough hook was there for that reason.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the suggestions. Seems silly that I spend money for a good mixer only to have trouble with something as simple as dough kneading. They can put a man on the moon but...
Old 05-03-2014, 02:04 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC. That is a problem all bread makers have had at one time or another. You will find that when making a cake or other goodie, you will have to stop the mixer and scrape down the sides. A little quirk of Kitchen Aide mixers. Something that irritates me to no end.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Thanks Addie. I appreciate your comment. Someone else suggested that my dough was over hydrated. That could be from the tears of disappointment at my mixer problem!
I'm a machinist so I will focus my abilities on this dough climbing problem. Maybe one day I will help free bakers all over the world from this evil curse!
By the way, I really like your little piece about God's first and last names. I often call Him Father, Lord, and Daddy.
Thanks again Sister! God bless you!
Old 07-12-2014, 05:17 PM   #8
Head Chef

A couple of months late on this but is it the older style "C" type or the newer spiral dough hook. I've had no problems at all with the spiral hook that came with my Pro 600.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixdup View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Seems silly that I spend money for a good mixer only to have trouble with something as simple as dough kneading. They can put a man on the moon but...
I am not an expert by any means, but this seems like operator error, not the mixer or dough hook being the problem.
Dough does climb the hook. Like said before, run it a little faster and the dough will be pushed towards the bowl and not climb up as much.

I can turn mine on a and walk away with no issue. Of coarse you do need scrape down the sides or the hook occasionally.
How long have you had this mixer and how many times have you used it to knead dough?
Practice does make perfect.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:58 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

KA mixers direct you to knead your dough at a certain speed (mine is at speed #2) and to not exceed that speed. Before I knew this I used a higher speed. The dough still climbed the hook and a gear broke.

Tags
dough