Dough climbing up the dough hook.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mixdup

Assistant Cook
Hi Folks. I have a Kitchenaid stand mixer. I bought it to knead whole wheat bread dough. When I use it to knead dough, the dough climbs up the dough hook. It only takes thirty seconds and I must stop the mixer and scrape the dough off the hook with a rubber spatula. I've cleaned the dough hook carefully. I've put shortening on it. I've tried using one cup of flour or four cups but nothing works to stop it. What do you suggest? Thank you all!:(

Coat the top part of the dough hook with some vegetable oil. Not a complete cure but it helps.

Thanks for the suggestions. Seems silly that I spend money for a good mixer only to have trouble with something as simple as dough kneading. They can put a man on the moon but...

Welcome to DC. That is a problem all bread makers have had at one time or another. You will find that when making a cake or other goodie, you will have to stop the mixer and scrape down the sides. A little quirk of Kitchen Aide mixers. Something that irritates me to no end. :angel:

Thanks Addie. I appreciate your comment. Someone else suggested that my dough was over hydrated. That could be from the tears of disappointment at my mixer problem!
I'm a machinist so I will focus my abilities on this dough climbing problem. Maybe one day I will help free bakers all over the world from this evil curse!
By the way, I really like your little piece about God's first and last names. I often call Him Father, Lord, and Daddy.
Thanks again Sister! God bless you!

A couple of months late on this but is it the older style "C" type or the newer spiral dough hook. I've had no problems at all with the spiral hook that came with my Pro 600.

Thanks for the suggestions. Seems silly that I spend money for a good mixer only to have trouble with something as simple as dough kneading. They can put a man on the moon but...

I am not an expert by any means, but this seems like operator error, not the mixer or dough hook being the problem.
Dough does climb the hook. Like said before, run it a little faster and the dough will be pushed towards the bowl and not climb up as much.

I can turn mine on a and walk away with no issue. Of coarse you do need scrape down the sides or the hook occasionally.
How long have you had this mixer and how many times have you used it to knead dough?
Practice does make perfect.

KA mixers direct you to knead your dough at a certain speed (mine is at speed #2) and to not exceed that speed. Before I knew this I used a higher speed. The dough still climbed the hook and a gear broke.

KA has a new dough hook that is supposed to address that problem of the dough climbing up the hook. I sent a question to Amazon asking it this new hook fits the KA Classic. Have not received an answer yet. But when I do, I will post the answer here. :angel:

Realy, don't worry about that. Once the dough is mixed it will not matter. The important thing is mixing your dough long enough. For pizza dough. I mix for 30 minutes, Bread dough, 5 - 8 minutes. Then flour my board and beat the hell out the dough with my hands, smacking it on a hard surface till it forms a ball and you can see the yeast working, (bubbles in the dough ). Let it rise and your good to go.

Realy, don't worry about that. Once the dough is mixed it will not matter. The important thing is mixing your dough long enough. For pizza dough. I mix for 30 minutes, Bread dough, 5 - 8 minutes. Then flour my board and beat the hell out the dough with my hands, smacking it on a hard surface till it forms a ball and you can see the yeast working, (bubbles in the dough ). Let it rise and your good to go.

30 minutes for Pizza dough? I make my pizza dough by hand and mix until I can't move the spoon through the dough any more, then turn it out on a floured surface and knead until all the flour is incorporated and about 5 minutes more.

When doing bread in my KA mixer, I knead with the spiral hook for about the same as you, then I still do a few folds by hand to "feel" the dough.

Back
Top Bottom