Dough not attaching to itself.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raidencmc

Assistant Cook
I have made this recipe several times and the first time was the best. I copied the recipe to a card and forgot to copy the instructions to it. It was a seven grain bread from the Bob's red mill bag. And I can't find it on the bag or anywhere. So that's why the first time I made it it was the best I assume. But each time gets better. My problem is when I punch it down and form the loaf let it rise again and throw it in the oven then cook it, it comes out as a loaf but is not "connected" where 2 exposed parts of dough touch. I flatten it out roll it up and tuck the ends under. And it seems to keep the form of the flattened part but rolled up. Almost like a cinnamon roll.

Are you letting it rise after flattening it?
How to make bread.
Make dough, let rise, punch down, shape dough, let rise, then bake in a preheated oven.
Is there some reason for the flatten, roll and tuck?
If not I would just shape it into a loaf and let rise.

Last edited:
Yes. Although this time I thought it should have risen a bit more. But it stopped. I mixed it in my food processor with a dough blade. But broke the blade. I felt that it might not have been kneeded well enough. The plan was to let it rise the first time and if it wasn't successful I was going to scrap it and start over.

The water was warm not hot.
941a1579bb18263a8598718537db7cce.jpg

Those are the ingredients. The best loaf was not done in my bread machine.

Last edited:
When you mixed the dough and set it aside to rise, did you cover it with plastic touching the dough. If it was rising with the surface exposed, there may have been surface drying that prevented adhesion.

Did you miss any of the liquid ingredients?? Having a dough blade break sounds like the dough was too 'tight'.

I think the dough blade in that thing is a bad idea. I used all the wet ingredients.
For the first rise I put in a bowl and brush it with oil to keep it wet. Then I cover the bowl with saran wrap.

Do you have a kitchen thermometer?
Make sure the water is 95 to 105.
How old is your yeast and how do you store it?
If you didn't use a bread machine then you need to dissolve the yeast in the water and honey. Wait till you see a reaction then add the remaining ingredients except the flour. Add until a soft dough forms then add only enough extra to make a smooth dough.
Knead on a floured surface for 10 minutes. Put in a warm bowl and cover with a towel or plastic wrap not oil till doubled.
Punch down. Shape into loaves and let rise. Then bake as directed.

Bread machine instructions are totally different from hand made bread.

So I made it again tonight. I added a little bit more milk for a wetter dough. And it came out awesome. So I'm not sure if I wrote it wrong or what but thanks for all your help.

uploadfromtaptalk1448844958826.jpg

Back
Top Bottom