Dutch oven breads, aka no-knead breads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just take half of the amounts called for in the recipes, so it's 1-1/2 cups (200 g) flour instead of 3 cups, etc. I use weights instead of volume. I knock about 5 minutes off the covered cooking time, but keep the uncovered cooking time the same.

Thank you, tenspeed..

I will get the smaller Dutch oven and give bread a try again..
I use weights also..
Ross

Unfortunately, I do not have a standard Dutch Oven. I do have a large metal soup pot. So I tried to do the No Knead bread in that. A total failure. It stuck to the pan and took me a few days of soaking it in hot water, before I could get it cleaned. :wacko:

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I do not have a standard Dutch Oven. I do have a large metal soup pot. So I tried to do the No Knead bread in that. A total failure. It stuck to the pan and took me a few days of soaking it in hot water, before I could get it cleaned. :wacko:

Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Is your soup pot covered, Addie? Did you preheat it? The pot, or Dutch oven needs to be as hot as the oven, 450°F.

Try using parchment paper. After the dough’s long rise, transfer it from your proofing container to a piece of parchment paper, cover it, and let it rest for thirty minutes. Then, using the greatest of care, transfer to your pot, parchment paper and all. Let us know how it turns out!

The Dutch oven method isn't the only way to make no-knead bread. The recipe I use makes a free-form loaf and gets the intense heat from a baking stone that heats up with the oven.

With this method, when you preheat the oven, put a cup of water in a heat-proof container on a different oven shelf from the bread. This will provide the steam you need to let the dough rise in the oven before the heat sets the crust. Covering your pot, as Joel mentioned, also provides the steam.

Is your soup pot covered, Addie? Did you preheat it? The pot, or Dutch oven needs to be as hot as the oven, 450°F.

Try using parchment paper. After the dough’s long rise, transfer it from your proofing container to a piece of parchment paper, cover it, and let it rest for thirty minutes. Then, using the greatest of care, transfer to your pot, parchment paper and all. Let us know how it turns out!

Thanks. I have considered greasing the bottom and sides. But I like your idea better. Will give it a try. I have an new unopened box of parchment paper.

This doesn’t look much different from my other no-knead breads, but it is!

I made this using 1 cup whole wheat and 2 cups AP. I bloomed the yeast in 1 1/2 cups water to which I’d added 1 tbsp light brown sugar. 1 tsp of gluten to give the whole wheat a bit more oomph, and a tbsp of EVOO. Flavored with caraway seeds, which I just eyeballed. Out of the oven, I immediately brushed the crust with EVOO.

The crumb is so soft and moist, and the olive oil brushed on after baking made the crust soft too; good for my teeth (or lack thereof)!

I think this is the most delicious loaf I’ve ever baked!

2DDB4F36-83FC-4567-9C2F-9AAEB7EFD120.jpg

This doesn’t look much different from my other no-knead breads, but it is!

I made this using 1 cup whole wheat and 2 cups AP. I bloomed the yeast in 1 1/2 cups water to which I’d added 1 tbsp light brown sugar. 1 tsp of gluten to give the whole wheat a bit more oomph, and a tbsp of EVOO. Flavored with caraway seeds, which I just eyeballed. Out of the oven, I immediately brushed the crust with EVOO.

The crumb is so soft and moist, and the olive oil brushed on after baking made the crust soft too; good for my teeth (or lack thereof)!

I think this is the most delicious loaf I’ve ever baked!

View attachment 32770

That looks delicious, JJ. :)
Ross

I made a loaf using a slightly different recipe and method from Cook's Illustrated. It called for using a tablespoon of white vinegar and 6 tablespoons of beer. The dough has a slightly lower hydration, and is baked at 425 and starting in a cold oven. I didn't find the method to be any easier than what I have been doing, but the vinegar and beer gave the bread some extra flavor. I think I'll incorporate these into my next loaf. Besides, it gave me an excuse for a mid-afternoon beer (I'm not going to dump the rest of the bottle!).

I have a bread baking pan question.. I am not a bread baker..

I don't have a heavy baking pan or a Dutch oven so I haven't yet tried to make no knead bread as discussed in this thread..

I did pick up a small (10L X 6W interior measurements ) enameled roasting pan yesterday, for other baking/roasting purposes.. Like most such pans (my daughter has a quite large one) it isn't very heavy but, will roast chickens, etc., @ high heat.

My question is, has anyone baked bread in a lighter weight pan with good results?

Thank you all..
Ross

I don't have a heavy baking pan or a Dutch oven so I haven't yet tried to make no knead bread as discussed in this thread..

I did pick up a small (10L X 6W interior measurements ) enameled roasting pan yesterday, for other baking/roasting purposes.. Like most such pans (my daughter has a quite large one) it isn't very heavy but, will roast chickens, etc., @ high heat.

My question is, has anyone baked bread in a lighter weight pan with good results?

Thank you all..
Ross
I've said repeatedly that I make no-knead bread with a baking stone and no pan at all. Just put a dish of water on another shelf to provide steam.

https://artisanbreadinfive.com/2013...tes-a-day-is-launched-back-to-basics-updated/

A cast iron pan is used because it retains heat better than less heavy pans and won't warp in the high heat.

Last edited:
I've said repeatedly that I make no-knead bread with a baking stone and no pan at all. Just put a dish of water on another shelf to provide steam.

https://artisanbreadinfive.com/2013...tes-a-day-is-launched-back-to-basics-updated/

A cast iron pan is used because it retains heat better than less heavy pans and won't warp in the high heat.

Yes you have said that repeatedly...

If I had not been interested in the Dutch oven method or had I a TO sized baking stone or cast iron pan, I'd have not asked the question..

Thank you... :)

Ross

Thank you all..
Ross

THAT is a great question Ross, I was just thinking the same thing and was about to attempt a "No-Knead" bread recipe in my standard Dutch Oven.
It's SS, not real heavy, but I'm thinking it'll work.

No Knead Bread.jpg

No Knead Bread1.jpg
The crust that I got on most recent attempts have not been as crisp as I have gotten using my Le Cruset.
BUT! It really messes up the very expensive pan, boo hiss!!

Good question!

Yes you have said that repeatedly...

If I had not been interested in the Dutch oven method or had I a TO sized baking stone or cast iron pan, I'd have not asked the question..

Thank you... [emoji2]

Ross
Sorry, Ross, I thought I was responding to Joel - I didn't realize you were commenting on his thread. Also, it wasn't clear to me that you were referring to a toaster oven, since you didn't mention it.

No, I haven't. You're welcome.

I can't comment on other pan types, but I make DO bread in cheap CI Dutch ovens. They work just fine, as long as they don't have plastic handles. I put the dough on parchment paper and then drop the paper and dough in the DO. Makes it easier to remove, and no clean up required.

I’m not getting the whole “clean up” thing folks are talking about. Parchment paper is great, but I rarely use it, and I’ve never had to do any clean up beyond wiping my DO out with a damp paper towel!

I’m not getting the whole “clean up” thing folks are talking about. Parchment paper is great, but I rarely use it, and I’ve never had to do any clean up beyond wiping my DO out with a damp paper towel!

I agree. There's hardly any clean up after baking bread in my LC DO. Just rinse it out.

It did discolor the white ceramic though.

I agree. There's hardly any clean up after baking bread in my LC DO. Just rinse it out.

It did discolor the white ceramic though.
Call it a “patina,” and tell everyone how much value it adds to the Dutch oven! ;)

Back
Top Bottom