Emulating store bought bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here in Mexico, the equivalent of wonder bread is called.....drum roll....BIMBO Bread. Really!

Oh, and knight76, the recipe I posted makes wonderful sandwiches. And if you rub butter liberally over the crust when you take it out of the oven, the crust is very soft for kids' consumption.

Wart has it exactly, and explained it better than I could have.

I forgot to mention, RLB quotes a food magazine editor describing this bread as "what Wonder Bread in its soul always wanted to be". I don't know if you have Wonder Bread where you are, but here in the US Wonder is considered the epitome of store bought bread.

Ohmygosh what a memory! When I was a little girl there was a Wonder bread factory and store on the next block. I just was telling my daughter about going over for free samples daily, where it was so soft you could roll it into a ball and it eat. There is a Wonder outlet nearby and my girls don't care for the bread. Go figure!

The hours the starter sits allows the yeast time to work and add flavor.

To add some practical advice,

Sponge grows. Sometimes allot.

I use 2 quart glass bowls.

My white sponge is 10 oz F, 20 oz W, 1 TS yeast, 2 TB sugar, and it usually grows by at least 50%.

My wheat sponge, this last time (I'm still looking for hte RIGHT wheat recipe) I made the wheat sponge with 3 oz Raw Honey, 1 TB light brown sugar, 20 oz Water, 8 oz White Whole Wheat, 6 oz UB-AP, and it crawled out of the bowl (over doubled).

Both are finished with flour to make 32~35 + oz total, proof 1 TB yeast in 2 oz Water with 1 TS sugar, and 1 TB Kosher. No oils or dairy.

For more funk I'll chill the dough 18 ~ 24 hours, for pizza 24 ~ 48 hours. Freezing dough balls and thawing thoroughly in a warm place has it's own joys.

I'm sure I could find a store bought that's similar to these breads.

I too have emulated store bought in so far as to see what was used to make it. I've come to the conclusion just about anything can be put in bread dough.

Wonder Bread. I figure Wonder Breads main function is to keep yellow mustard and bologna from sticking to the sandwich bag. :rolleyes:

Answer to what and how is white store bought bread in the US - it's a pasty thing full of air and sugar - you can squeeze a slice into a dough ball that remains a ball. Really isn't very good but its the cheapest bread to hold some ham and cheese between. One can even put mayo or mustard on it!!

Back
Top Bottom