"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids
Old 06-18-2008, 08:03 PM   #11
Master Chef
Look at you!! Looks good! Congratulations!

texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:04 PM   #12
Master Chef
Congrats, knight! Looks perfect to me ... and the reason the loaf is small is because of the amount of flour and the size of your pan - looks like a standard 1-pound loaf to me.

As for milk in a bread recipe - it adds tenderness to the crumb and helps retard staling. The recipe I've been using for the past 10-years or so also includes a mix of water and milk.

Originally Posted by knight76 View Post
But what about the taste affect of using different flours.

With the loaf I cooked earlier using AP flour it had a sort of scone like taste to it. How would using bread flour change the taste?

I am not sure what bread tastes like in other countries but in Aus it does not taste scone like. I would like to learn to make the bread to be more commercial tasting so my fam will eat it more readily. I quite enjoyed the taste though.
Different flours will have both different texture qualities and flavors. Here in the US - AP flour is a blend of hard and soft wheats - bread flour is just a hard wheat.

Of course, flavor is also going to be affected by the recipe. The recipe I've been using to make a couple of 1-lb loaves each week is a blend of bread (4-cups) and whole wheat (3-cups) ... and a mix of milk and water, butter, honey in place of most of the sugar, etc. I made this almost every week for about 10 years, but haven't made it in about a year after I moved - and I'm not sure which box in the garage the recipe is in ... but it took me about a year of tweaking to get it to taste like a loaf of "Mrs Baird's Honey-Butter Wheat Bread" (our primary local bread bakery).

Try the recipe again using bread flour - don't change anything else. See what you think about it.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote