Flat bread recipe, multi use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
1 3/4 cups (or more) all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
3/4 cup lukewarm water (95°F to 100°F)
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
3 tablespoons (about) extra-virgin olive oil, divided

Mix 1-3/4 cups flour and salt in medium to large bowl . Combine 3/4 cup lukewarm water and sugar in another bowl, sprinkle yeast over. Let stand until mixture is foamy, about 10-15 minutes. Mix wet and dry ingredients together until well blended, add 1 tablespoon olive oil to mixture before blending.

Using rubber spatula, scrape dough out onto a floured board and knead until dough is smooth, adding more flour by tablespoonfuls as needed for a soft and still slightly sticky dough, about 5 minutes. Gather dough together and place in oiled bowl. Turn dough to coat with olive oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, then kitchen towel and let dough rise in warm draft-free area until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.

Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Turn dough out onto floured surface. Divide dough into 6 equal pieces. Roll each piece into ball. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest on floured work surface 15 minutes. Using heel of hand, press dough ball into a flat disk, then roll or stretch (I cheat, I use a marble rolling pin) into about a 5-1/2 to 6 inch round. Place dough rounds on prepared baking sheets, spacing apart. Brush each round lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle with flavorings (see below), press lightly to adhere. Cover with baking-spray coated plastic wrap (so it doesn't stick) and let rise 30 minutes.

Heat a heavy large skillet (cast-iron if you have) over medium heat, transfer dough disks, olive oil side down, into pan and cook until lightly browned in spots and bubbling up. While you are waiting for first side to cook, lightly brush up side with olive oil, flip and let cook until cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to platter.

Toppings can be pretty much whatever you want. You can add flavorings to the dough as well. We use cumin a lot and flavor the dough, as well as the top. You can coarse chop cumin and use that for the top. You can top it with garlic and parm to make garlic bread. Rosemary and/or thyme would also be good. Even sage. Your imagination is the limit.

These can also be cooked on the gril if you want, same procedure.

Thank you! I love flat bread, but I've never managed to produce a good one yet, and I look forward to trying it. I like them with kofta, zsatsiki and salad, and, for me, on a hot summer evening they are GOOD!!!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

But, more importantly: 'Peeple of ze wurl, relax', Tom Robbins from his book 'Fierce invalids home from hot climates' ...it's what the protagonist taught his parrot to say. I love it!

Back
Top Bottom