Fluffy buns and rolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
This recipe was an adaptation of Hot Dog Bread Rolls Recipe in The Bread Kitchen that was posted on another forum by Yorky and then made by MorningGlory. I made a couple of tweaks by adding back some sugar, which MG reduced from the original, and also added in a little more butter, which I may add in even a little more in the form of either oil or butter since they tasted a little "dry" still to us. These are nice and fluffy inside with a soft outside crust.

I'm betting they would make great garlic rolls too, soaking up all that lovely garlic oil. I'm going to try that by cutting them into 16 pieces when I make them next, as the slider buns are a bit too big unless you like HUGE garlic rolls.

3-3/8 cups (450 g) (16 oz) strong white flour, + more for bench purposes
200 ml (7 fl oz) lukewarm water
2 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp (25 g) (1 oz) butter, melted, cooled
2 eggs
2 tsp (7 g) dried yeast
1-1/2 tsp (9 g) salt (not a typo, salt is apparently heavier than yeast)

Place the yeast and sugar into the warm water, mix and let sit for 5-10 minutes so the yeast will activate.

Separate 1 egg. Place the whole egg and the yolk into a small bowl, the egg white in another. Add about 4 tsp of water to the egg white and whip until nice and frothy. Beat the whole egg and yolk until well mixed.

Place the flour into a bowl, add salt and mix. In a well in the center, add the yeast/sugar/water mixture, the melted butter and the egg yolk mixture. Mix. Add the beaten egg white/water and mix until you have a soft and slightly sticky dough. Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface. Knead well for 10 minutes, sprinkling the surface with flour from time to time if the dough starts to stick. Form the dough into a ball and place in a lightly greased bowl. Cover and place in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Lightly punch down the dough, form into a rough ball, and cut as follows:

For slider buns, cut into 9 equal pieces. Flour your hands and shape each piece into a ball. Place in a well-greased 9x9 pan.

For hot dog type rolls, cut into 8 equal pieces and form into rough balls. Press/stretch/roll out each dough ball to about 5x3 inches, fold in thirds, placing seam on bottom and tucking in ends slightly to make the roll shape. Fit them into a well-greased 9x9 inch pan.

Cover pan with plastic wrap that has been sprayed with something like Pam, leave in a warm place and let rise for 45 minutes to an hour or until the dough has puffed up and the rolls are just touching.

Remove the plastic wrap. You can either flour or brush the tops of the rolls lightly with an egg white/water mixture at this point, or just leave plain. Bake in a preheated 350°F convection oven or 375°F normal oven for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Place on a wire rack to cool.

37240-albums1070-picture7477.jpg
37240-albums1070-picture7476.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Med.

Does this recipe have your tweeks or is it the original?

You're welcome. It's the way I made the slider buns, except for adding a little more fat in some form, whether another tablespoon or 2 of butter or oil.

I just made some sweet potato buns. Nearly the exact same recipe with 1 T more butter and 8 oz of mashed sweet potatoes. I made it in the kitchen aid dough hook deal. Cut it into 16 pieces. It's looking quite nice. I didn't brush them with egg. Just left them plain.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom