"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 04-13-2015, 04:19 PM   #11
Master Chef

Thank you so much for your replies everyone, I really appreciate it!

I meant to get on here earlier today, but it's been a busy day - and I just now got a msg from my daughter that she and my grandson are coming over for the afternoon. So it may be a while before I get back on the computer.

Looking forward to making my first loaf of homemade bread!

Old 04-13-2015, 08:11 PM   #12
Master Chef

Katie, as I mentioned, I don't have a bread machine. Would it work just as well if I kneaded by hand? Thank you so much for your recipe....copied and saved.

RP....copied and saved yours as well. It's a really technical recipe for my feeble brain but I can imagine that the extra rising time would make for a great bread with some nice airy holes....yum...

Taxy, yes....that French bread is what I imagined....not really a long skinny baguette, but a sandwich sized bread. Thank you for the pic.

Princess, I think I'm gonna go with yours for now....it seems easy enough for my first try.
Thank you again, everyone. I also want to try Chief's potato bread....so many recipes and ideas, so little time....! LOL

Old 04-13-2015, 08:29 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Katie, as I mentioned, I don't have a bread machine. Would it work just as well if I kneaded by hand? Thank you so much for your recipe....copied and saved.

Thank you again, everyone. I also want to try Chief's potato bread....so many recipes and ideas, so little time....! LOL
Yes, Cheryl, you can knead by hand. Just make sure you knead for at least 15 minutes, then place into a greased bowl, turn to grease the dough. Cover with a towel and place in a warm, draft-free space to double in size. This should take about an hour.

I use my microwave as a proofing box. Before I put my bowl or pan/tray of dough in, I put a cereal bowl of water in. Microwave on HIGH for 4 minutes. Let it sit, door closed, for about 2 minutes before putting in the dough. Leave the bowl in. There's enough moisture and warmth to last for about an hour, which is usually long enough for any of my breads to rise.

Have fun.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:21 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm going to have to try that microwave proofing method. Thanks for describing it Katie.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:36 PM   #15
Executive Chef

The King Arthur Flour web site has a whole bunch of tried and true bread recipes. You might want to try a no-knead dough recipe because you don't have a kitchen-aid mixer or a bread machine.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:09 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm going to have to try that microwave proofing method. Thanks for describing it Katie.
I just stumbled on it one day out of necessity and have been doing it ever since.

This method provides a, darned near, perfect environment...draft-free, warm, moist. Everything. Plus, there's really no way anyone could interfere with process.

An added bonus is that the microwave gets a nice steam-cleaning in the process.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:17 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I just stumbled on it one day out of necessity and have been doing it ever since.

This method provides a, darned near, perfect environment...draft-free, warm, moist. Everything. Plus, there's really no way anyone could interfere with process.

An added bonus is that the microwave gets a nice steam-cleaning in the process.
Katie, I've always just proofed my bread dough on the counter in the mixer bowl covered in plastic wrap. Always turns out good. What's the advantage of the microwave method?
Old 04-13-2015, 10:44 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Katie, I've always just proofed my bread dough on the counter in the mixer bowl covered in plastic wrap. Always turns out good. What's the advantage of the microwave method?
In a nutshell, it provides a complete and constant environment. Seasonally, our house changes as far as humidity and temperature goes, even though we have modern HVAC. That wasn't so in the house Buck and I lived in. There was no AC, so in the summertime the temperature in the house varied wildly. The winters were equally challenging for other reasons that can be attributed to a house built in 1880. I've found the microwave method to be nearly 100% reliable. No variations. It's always the same no matter what the weather in our world or our house is like.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:45 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
The King Arthur Flour web site has a whole bunch of tried and true bread recipes. You might want to try a no-knead dough recipe because you don't have a kitchen-aid mixer or a bread machine.
Thank you, SirLoin. I copied and saved your link. Sometimes I feel like I'm one of the only ones here who doesn't have the latest in KitchenAids and bread machines. LOL
Old 04-13-2015, 11:52 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Thank you, SirLoin. I copied and saved your link. Sometimes I feel like I'm one of the only ones here who doesn't have the latest in KitchenAids and bread machines. LOL
I don't have either. I did get encouragement to buy a 14 cup Cuisinart food processor with three bowls and a dough blade.

Tags
bread