Gooey Bread?! Ugh...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timtim

Assistant Cook
I have this bread recipe that comes out really, really good most of the time, but sometimes it turns out a little sticky in the middle. I'm preparing it the same as I always have, so I'm a little confused. Can anyone come up with an answer to this?! Thanks!!

I have this bread recipe that comes out really, really good most of the time, but sometimes it turns out a little sticky in the middle. I'm preparing it the same as I always have, so I'm a little confused. Can anyone come up with an answer to this?! Thanks!!

The answer is maybe where you live and the change of weather... :)

I had that problem until I started measuring the temperature of the water with an instant-read thermometer. I think my water was too cold, so the yeast didn't get as active, so the bread didn't bake completely. I haven't had that problem since I started doing that. HTH.

I bake freeform bread in a well (1 hour) preheated oven at 450F on a 3/4" thick baking stone. Complete oven spring and dough set takes 25 to 35 minutes and total baking time ranges from 45 to 65 minutes for loaves ranging in finished weight from 12 to 40 ounces. Round loaves take longer to bake than elongated loaves.
Weight of baked bread seems to run about 70 to 75% of the raw dough.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom