Help with breadsticks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrantsKat

Executive Chef
Hello Everyone!
Im making a fritatta for dinner and want to make bread sticks to go along with it.
Problem is some recipes call for "cake" yeast (what is that?):neutral:,then some call for milk, or shortening(which I dont have), or melted butter, theres such a variation and as you may know I have little experience baking bread!!
If I want to substitute for 1/4 cup of shortening could I use butter?
Ugh, help please!!:(

You surely don't want to listen to ANYTHING I have to say about baking - I don't bake!!!

I'd say no to the butter versus shortening. I'd also have to go to the store and buy those tubes of breadsticks :LOL: Or just grill some bread.

LOL I hear ya KE, I have 2 cans of ready made biscuits in the fridge that are calling my name:ermm:BUT I do want to give it a go by scratch first....if I fail then I have a go-to:LOL:
If at first we dont succeed......go-to, go-to, go-to the old GO-TO:ROFLMAO:

GrantsKat, you can substitute butter for the shortening if it's breadsticks that you're making-----just keep an eye on them and check them before the posted time.......products with butter tend to brown quicker than with shortening........pick one of the breadsticks up and look at the bottom....you do not need to use cake yeast......my grandma did but I use the packages of dry yeast.....work just as well......1 package should be plenty.....check the expiration date.....since you're a newbie at this you might want to try and search for making breadsticks, step by step, on Google.......you might get a step by step with pictures even or someone on DC will send you a link.......I've made them for years.........and like to butter them with a pastry brush and then sprinkle either sesame seeds or black nigella seeds before popping into the oven.....good luck :)

Thanks expatgirl!!
I found a recipe that didnt call for shortening, they should be done momentarily!!!
If these turn out well, I will make another batch for dinner, they smell great!!
I'll post pics in a few:)

Here they are....well half of them!
They came out really good, but I know theres so much I can add to change the taste, Im gonna make more for dinner with different ingredients:chef:

oh, GrantsKat, those do look yummy............yay, you did it........for a different taste try adding some Italian seasoning and or parmesan cheese to the batter as well..........great with Italian food and or pasta dishes..........congratulations for giving it a try.........

I love fritattas....made one for the first time last Dec. as one of the ambassadors' wives is allergic to gluten.......couldn't think of anything else besides fruit and nuts for her to eat......bread sticks would be perfect with it!!!

Try rolling them thiner and roll in sea salt or kosher salt, caraway seeds, poppy seeds, sesame seeds. I make them all the time and my formula is very simple bread flour water 1 pkg. of instant yeast,a little salt, let proof and roll thin and bake in a hot 400* oven for 6-10 minutes. the formula is close to hard rolls. Lots of luck

Thanks for the advice Dave!!! I put sesame seeds on my shopping list!! The ones I made had garlic & parm in the dough & they were supposed to have sesame seeds on them, but since I had none, I sprinkled them with basil, oregano, salt & pepper.I may just make some more today!!:)

Oh and making hard rolls is on my list of things to try!!

Last edited:
Well, you're at the right place, GrantsKat!!!! There are lots of bakers here.........if you have a bread machine it will make your job of mixing the dough a lot easier without all the mess......just put it on the dough cycle.........and let it do the work for you... take it out and roll to your heart's content....of course nothing beats the sensation of pliable dough in one's hands....it's very therapeutic if you have the time........

Oh, how I remember the first bread sticks that I made. You see, they were supposed to be hot dog buns, but I firgot to spray the plastic wrap that I put on them when the began proofing, and when I went to remove it it was stuck to the top of this beautifully risen dough and they all deflated. So I popped them in the oven anyway, and when they came out they were butt ugly. My son looked at them and said to just sprinkle some parmesan cheese and garlic powder on them, and call them bread sticks. Duh! (20-something year olds say DUH! to their parents a lot) Another delicious mistake in the process of learning to bake breads. Yours are much prettier than these were...

img_663873_0_ef6b2c0daae14672bf362720327f2489.jpg

Today I just use my regular white bread recipe for bread sticks and roll them out into long, thin tubes and let them raise. A few minutes in the oven at 400 and they're perfect. No need to get real fancy unless you want to.

Keep on experimenting. We enjoy your persistence and perseverance.

Those look nice, Joe...........if I have the time which I have a lot of over here.........I'm anal enough to actually weigh all the pieces before rolling out......I know, ANAL, but they are perfectly symmetrical for the most part when they are finished baking or I just put the larger pieces on the outside edges of the pan and the thinner ones in the middle if I'm in a rush

hey, weighing works!!!! I'm glad you mentioned it way back in the hot dog bun thread expat.... I got the burger buns perfect at 3 oz.

Back
Top Bottom