"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 12-13-2011, 03:32 PM   #11
Head Chef

This one is easy, but there are some ingredient issues. But I'll refer to it because I know it's reliable for me and has distinct rye flavor.

Caraway Rye Bread: King Arthur Flour

You'll see it calls for first clear flour, something you probably don't have around the kitchen. Same for the vital wheat gluten. Just substitute bread flour. It has more gluten. The taste won't be exactly the same, but it's perfectly acceptable. Do not omit or substitute the sour cream. The acid is essential. And I sometime add dill instead of caraway.

The execution is easy. But until you've worked out a rye recipe that you personally know works for you, there are no guarantees if you're looking for deep rye flavor, rather than a wheat bread that happens to have some rye flour in it. I still find myself kind of holding my breath, waiting to see how it goes, because I don't make it very often. Give it time to rise as well as it can. I put my dough in a metal bowl and set it atop a smaller bowl of hot water.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:30 AM   #12
Executive Chef

GLC google pain bouillie, I was taught this recipe when I was a kid in the bakery I worked in in Frejus. The key is the porridge made by pouring boiling water over the rye flour and adding sugar or honey then leaving for 12 hrs, you then add it to your dough, let it rise, knock back and laminate using olive oil.This will give you a light and well risen rye bread.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #13
Head Chef

Thanks for that. I'll have to try it. It obviously provides the environment to deal properly with rye. I see one variation that includes overnight soaked cracked grain, like rolled oats, which sounds like good added texture. Besides, I like any recipe where the essential work happens on its own while I sleep. Are you leaving the rye porridge demonstrate a lot of activity, or just going 12 hours and using it?
Old 12-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I just leave the porridge in the pantry over night, I dont add rolled oats.
I think I posted my recipe for soda bread in which I use 250g strong white,250g wholemeal and 100g rolled oats click on pic to make biggerClick image for larger version

Name:	garden & BBQ 507.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	12616
Old 12-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #15
Head Chef

Sorry. I meant steel cut oats, not rolled. But you can stop showing me tempting pictures of bread. We're sort of on a diet (bad timing), and bread isn't on the menu.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:08 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Use more wheat flour

Since rye breads usually don't rise much, one easy way to ensure you get a higher rise is to use a higher percentage of white flour. Like this Jewish rye bread (inspired by Rose Levy Berenbaum's bread - fantastic flavor)
Of course, you can make a good rye bread without a high rise, it will just be a bit denser.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:04 AM   #17
Executive Chef

4 I was brought up with jewish rye or london rye and it is one of my favorite toast and sandwich breads.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #18
Master Chef

I need to get my bread machine out and start making rye bread.
Is it healthier than whole wheat or is it other way around?
Old 12-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Whole wheat healthier than rye?

I think whether whole wheat is healthier than rye is up for debate. Perhaps a varied diet that includes both would be the best option!