Hoagie rolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pigskins

Cook
Around here we call them sub rolls but hoagie rolls seems to be what the "universal" term is. I am fairly new to breadmaking and have been working on my rolls. Sandwich or burger style rolls aren't too bad, flattening, folding, then rolling/shaping into round balls. But I can't seem to make a long roll, like one for a hot dog, sausage, or hoagie. I try to roll the dough between my hands to stretch it out and I think I am working it too much. But then when I get the dough into a log shape and let it sit to rise, they shrink back down into ovals, much wider in the middle than at the end and any hot dog or sausage hangs out of both ends! :)

I have been looking for videos on good hoagie-making technique but haven't found one yet. Maybe someone here has seen one or can describe the proper technique to make a hoagie-style roll? TY!

I might consider getting something like that. But what is the proper method to take a ball of dough and elongate it into the proper hoagie shape?

I am also getting into making hoagie rolls. I now make decent dinner rolls, and need a good sandwich roll. There may be good information online from Reinhart's bread book. I believe you make a rectangle, then fold and pinch the seams, and finally roll it tapering the ends, similar to making a baguette. Then you may want them to proof in the above mentioned pan.

I am also getting into making hoagie rolls. I now make decent dinner rolls, and need a good sandwich roll. There may be good information online from Reinhart's bread book. I believe you make a rectangle, then fold and pinch the seams, and finally roll it tapering the ends, similar to making a baguette. Then you may want them to proof in the above mentioned pan.

My bad, didn't see you right above me, but yes. and honestly, you don't even need a pan/form/mold.

If you don't mind soft sides, try laying them out side by side in a 9X13 inch pan. Leave some space between them when you set them to rise and as they expand they will provide some support to each other. Sort of like large New England style hot dog rolls.

I've not baked bread for years. I do notice what local supermarkets offer up as their daily fresh baked "rolls for hoagies" (subs or whatever). Some bake their bread from dough that is almost too fluffy. A hoagie roll should be slightly firm to chew.

Doesn't the dough you start with have a lot to do with how genuine a hoagie type roll ends up baking from a breadmaker?
I passed on this one major chains offering of hoagie rolls, they were too squishy soft.

It almost leads me to believe that a home type breadmaker can't duplicate deli style hoagie rolls baked in supermarket ovens.

Last edited:
are you in northern or western ny, pigskin?

the reason i ask is that in southwestern ny, the bread/sandwiches that you referrred to are known as heroes or even baguettes, french or italian loafs, or portugese rolls.

subs also, but less commonly, and then there's hoagies or grinders.

Last edited:
I live in a city where Italian bread and sub rolls are baked and sold for Italians and sold in paper bags. They are unsliced. Then there is Italian bread and sub rolls sold in plastic bags with tie twists and printing on the outside. They are sliced. Including the rolls. Those are for non-Italians who think they are getting the real thing.

Now I realize that not everyone lives within a distance where they can get the real thing. But if it is sliced, you are not getting the real thing. Italian breads have a hard crust and a slit down middle made before it goes in the oven. Every Italian family I have ever known, tears pieces of the loaf off at the table. Too bad I don't like white bread. Italian bread always smells so heavenly. :angel:

the reason i ask is that in southwestern ny, the bread/sandwiches that you referrred to are known as heroes or even baguettes, french or italian loafs, or portugese rolls.

I just noticed that what fresh bread/sandwiches 3 national area supermarkets make are bagged up as "hoagie rolls" or labeled such. I mean, that's about it besides whole wheat of the same. The white is first to sell out, of course.

One store bakes theirs up with a slightly "chewier" bread and slightly harder baked outside crust (which I prefer), the other store's fresh offering seemed to me almost Wonder Bread soft with little outside baked crust bite texture.

This thread has got me thinking about hoagie sub sandwiches. I gotta pick me up another subway any Footlong for $5 for the rest of this month.

Last edited:
I've been searching for a good recipe for hoagie rolls. Does anyone have a good recipe?

I'm looking for soft crumb with a crisp crust, easy to eat as a sandwich. Some recipes call for egg, and some do not. I believe Reinhart in his book calls for egg, but I do not believe egg should be required.

Taurus has pretty well summed it up.

Any of the "torpedo" shaped loves is made the same way. Start with a ball of dough. Gently form it into a rectangle, with the long side going left/right. Reach to the far side and fold it towards you, one third of the way. Then fold the bottom half over that, tightening as you do so to form a tighter surface. Then, more with your palms than your ringers, roll it to the lengh/thickness you want, slightly tapering the ends as you do so.

Unlike baguettes, which are made from a very slack dough, no special pan is necessary to make hogie buns.

As to shrinkage, that just means the dough isn't relaxed enough. Let it sit for a few minutes and try rolling again.

Taurus, have you tried Reinhart's Pain de Capagne? That's my go-too formula for any of the torpedo shaped breads.

Another interesting varient is to use a soft-pretzel dough. Shape it in the form of a hogie bun, but do not lye-treat it. Skipping that step results in more of a regular bread type crust, with a soft, chewy interior.

When I want to try something new with baking I usually turn to King Arthur Flour. Their website is great with a lot of "how-to" information given. I am certain if you search their site you will find tips on making hoagie bread.

Around here a scratch bakery takes a huge mound of French bread dough and makes: hoagies, kaisers, baguettes, hard rolls, Italian bread and French Bread. For them it's all in the shaping and labeling. As a home baker, it took me a while to convince Shrek what he was making was French bread with cornmeal on top...not Italian bread.

Hi buckytom,

I am in western NY (near Rochester). Very few if any places around here call them heroes or baguettes. :) All of the deli and sandwich shops call them subs.

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice!

The best dscription I can give for a hoagie, grinder, or sub bread is that it is a "smaller version of the loaf of Italian Bread with a hard crispy crust and slice scar down the middle". It is made with three ingredients. Flour, salt, and water. Some bakeries do add olive oil for flavor. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom