Home Made English Muffins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
Buon Giorno,

Since we are going to see Bruce Springsteen Sunday evening, in the Madrid Capital perform live, I have decided to prepare Eggs Benedict for Brunch ...

However, it is not an easy feat to find English Muffins in the Mediterranean, so I have learnt to prepare my own, with a little help from my Mom Eva ... Here is the recipe ... You shall require a griddle ...;)

:chef:
English Muffins

1 package Yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 1/4 cup scalded whole cow milk
1 tblsp sugar
1 tsp salt
3 cups sifted flour all purpose
1 cup corn flour
1/4 cup butter room temperature

1. soften yeast in warm water and pour scalded milk over sugar, salt and butter and cool to luke warm
2. stir in 1 cup flour and add softened yeast and corn meal
combined well
3. beat 2 minutes at medium speed on electric mixer
4. beat in remaining flour to create a soft dough
5. cover and let rise in warm place without drafts until it doubles in bulk - about one hour
6. stir down dough and roll out to about 1 inch on surface sprinkled with corn meal heavily
7. cut with 3 inch round cutter and cover and let rest for 30 mins.
8. preheat griddle to medium hot and grease griddle lightly
9. carefully place muffins, corn meal side down on griddle
10. bake until bottom is golden brown about 20 mins.
11. turn and bake an additional 20 mins.
12. let cool
13. store in refrig until time to serve and then split with a sharp knife or fork and toast under broiler

Have a lovely Saturday,
Ciao.
Margaux Cintrano.

Last edited by a moderator:
Margi, I have made them from a recipe in the Joy of Cooking and used a tuna can with both ends cut out to place the dough in. Once the bottom is brown, you can remove the greased ring and then flip them. They maintain their shape better and have a wall to climb when rising. Homemade English muffins are so much better than store bought. I also toasted them on the same griddle when we were ready to eat them. :chef:

Margi, I have made them from a recipe in the Joy of Cooking and used a tuna can with both ends cut out to place the dough in. Once the bottom is brown, you can remove the greased ring and then flip them. They maintain their shape better and have a wall to climb when rising. Homemade English muffins are so much better than store bought. I also toasted them on the same griddle when we were ready to eat them. :chef:
That's the recipe I used, when I used to make them. Unfortunately, today's tuna cans have a round bottom and you can't remove it. :mad:

I used to make them with whole wheat flour and sometimes substituted bacon fat for the butter. They still came out great.

That's the recipe I used, when I used to make them. Unfortunately, today's tuna cans have a round bottom and you can't remove it. :mad:

I used to make them with whole wheat flour and sometimes substituted bacon fat for the butter. They still came out great.

They now have rings in the kitchenwares department. BB&B should have them. Also look for imported tuna in cans. They still have the bottom you can cut out. Canned chicken, ham, are also possibilities. Even if you have to feed the contents to the cat or dog. Just don't throw out the rings when you are through. Save them with your life. You may be getting the last cans that you can do that to. :ermm::mad:

I used to save my bacon fat and use it in scratch biscuits. It really added flavor. Bacon Rules! :cool:

How do you make your Hollandaise Margi? Whisk over water or in a blender? I am a blender method guy. I drop 6 yolks in the blender and 1 tbsp lemon juice along with salt and Sri hacha hot sauce. I like it better than just black pepper and chili powder. I only use about 1/2 tsp. I drizzle the hot butter in with the lid on and the little cap off. I also usually double this recipe for 6 servings.

Avacado is also a fav to go with or a couple of shrimp.

Do you use something other than Canadian Bacon? I bet some salumi from spain would rock the dish. I think I will try some Hot Coppa next time I make it.

I also think some chopped chives on top would work good.

Have you ever been served chicken/lemon gravy on Eggs Benedict? I always ask if it real hollandaise and if they send me that stuff it goes right to the kitchen and I order something else.

Last edited:
4 Meandthem: Hollandaise - Whisk Only

Good Morning, Buon Giorno,

I have been making Italian sauces for aeons since my paternal Chef Grandmom owned and operated a Trattoria ... However, in order to learn the fine points of French cuisine and its techniques, I took an extensive course at Le Cordon Bleu ... One of the 1st sauces, I had learnt to prepare had been Holladaise ...

HOLLANDAISE - LE CORDON BLEU

2 yolks
2 tblsps. water Room Temperature
90g butter clarified
1/2 tsps. fresh lemon juice

1. In a metal bowl combine the water and the 2 yolks and whisk with strength to obtain a creamy consistency. Then, place the mixture in a sauce pan over another sauce pan of water ( Ban Marie ).

2. Over very low flame, melt the butter, whisking.

3. Add the butter extremely slowly to the yolk & water mixture and whisk continuously.

4. Incorporate all the butter and you shall have a creamy light sauce, and then, season with salt and Freshly grinded black, rose and green pepper and the lemon juice, whisking until totally combined, thickened without being pasty and light and creamy.

QUESTION 2 ...

Of course, it is nearly imposs to employ Canadian Bacon, so I use one of the three: French Jambón ( French sweet ham ); Jabugo Iberian Acorn Fed Air Dried Ham from Jabugo, Huelva or Proscuitto di Parma ...

Personally, we find bacon or salami or pancetta too greasy for this dish.

QUESTION 3 ...

I have never eaten Chicken Lemon Gravy before ... As a matter of fact, I have never had Eggs Benedict in Madrid nor in Italia. It is quite uncommon.

QUESTION 4 ...

For garnish: black truffle shavings ... and to sip:

* Mimosa
* Bloody Mary
* Cava - Rosé with lime
* Proseco

Have a lovely Father´s Day.
Margaux Cintrano.

Oh--I so want to make english muffins--haven't made them for years! Or crumpets--and I love crumpets! I tend to prefer Eggs Florentine (made with Swiss Chard instead of spinach) over Eggs Benedict.

CWS,

Interesting, English Muffins are called Crumphets in the Le Cordon Bleu Breakfast Book ...

Eggs Florentine: also a lovely dish for a brunch or lunch ...

Have nice Sunday and thanks for reply,
Margi. Ciao.

I have never had crumpets, but I have read that they are almost exactly the same as English muffins, but made with a thinner batter, as opposed to the English muffin dough.

"Canadian bacon" is called back bacon here. It isn't greasy like stripey bacon. It is from the pork loin and has almost no visible fat.

I have never had crumpets, but I have read that they are almost exactly the same as English muffins, but made with a thinner batter, as opposed to the English muffin dough.

"Canadian bacon" is called back bacon here. It isn't greasy like stripey bacon. It is from the pork loin and has almost no visible fat.
I love crumpets and have decided to make my own as buying them is impossible now. They are so good toasted then top with a slice or two of canadian bacon on the buttered crumpet YUM
the best for breakfast
kades

I love crumpets and have decided to make my own as buying them is impossible now. They are so good toasted then top with a slice or two of canadian bacon on the buttered crumpet YUM
the best for breakfast
kades
When you find a recipe you like, please share. I can't remember which crumpet recipe I ended up liking...I'm thinking it was Joy of Cooking, but my JoC is still packed and, even if it weren't, it is at the house in the city.

Here's a link re: the difference b/tween crumpets and English muffins (they are not the same, just like waffles and pancakes are not the same).

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2009/09/18/butters-best-friend-crumpets/

Last edited:
When you find a recipe you like, please share. I can't remember which crumpet recipe I ended up liking...I'm thinking it was Joy of Cooking, but my JoC is still packed and, even if it weren't, it is at the house in the city.

Here's a link re: the difference b/tween crumpets and English muffins (they are not the same, just like waffles and pancakes are not the same).

Butter
I could PM you the Joy of Cooking recipe. Let me know.

TL--I'm not cooking much this week--I will when I get back to the City. The box with JoC in it is one of the first I plan on unpacking. I want to paint the wall where the bookcase goes, first. If I decide to make crumpets, I'll let you know!

Tax Lady,

It is relatively impossible to purchase Canadian Bacon in Spain or Italia.

So, I use French, Spanish or Italian Ham instead ...

Have nice week.
Margi.
Canadian bacon isn't bacon that comes from Canada. It's pork loin that is brined and possibly smoked. It tastes somewhat like ham. It's only Yankees who call it "Canadian bacon". I don't know what it's called in Spanish - Google translate was translating back bacon literally. In Quebec French it is called "bacon de dos" (might called that in France as well). I wouldn't be surprised if you can get it at a Spanish butcher shop or deli, made locally, but with a completely different name.

The point is to have a round piece of meat that tastes a bit like ham.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom