"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 04-22-2013, 05:58 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Homemade bread

Hey

Anyone make their own bread?? The restaurant I work for is opening a bakery and I'm really keen to get down and learn about baking. I have a basic knowledge of yeast breads and starter based breads but I can't wait to learn how to make beautiful consistent loaves. Does anyone out there never buy bread????

Old 04-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

There is a recent thread here: Bread homemade or store bought?

Old 04-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

This method works great. I keep meaning to do it more.

Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day
http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/20...-minutes-a-day
Old 04-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
This method works great. I keep meaning to do it more.

Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day
Back to Basics ~ tips and techniques to create a great loaf in 5 minutes a day. | Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day
Looks good, cheers GG
Old 04-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Head Chef

I never buy store or bakery bread. I find that I cycle through different preferences as to which bread currently make to "keep in stock." I'll go for a while making classic baguettes. Then I might make a 100% whole wheat loaf and then move to a half hole wheat braided seed bread.

I fiddled a while with the "...in five minutes a day" routine, but reverted back to mostly making, start to finish, in one evening, making overnight poolish only for the baguettes. Aside from time in the mixer kneading, I probably don't have much more than five minutes in any loaf, so it just a matter of starting early enough.

I used to spend more time with more carefully prepped starters, aiming for precise characteristics, and I still sometimes revert, but it's most now just cranking out the standby varieties for daily use.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
Cook

I'm new here today ad make bread. We started a few weeks back and are improving with each batch. We make a simple flour water salt and yeast dough. It tastes delicious but we feel it could rise better. We are learning that possibly too much kneeding may be the cause. We mix and kneed with an elextrolux mixer. We have been very successful with pizza :)
Old 05-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty71 View Post
I'm new here today ad make bread. We started a few weeks back and are improving with each batch. We make a simple flour water salt and yeast dough. It tastes delicious but we feel it could rise better. We are learning that possibly too much kneeding may be the cause. We mix and kneed with an elextrolux mixer. We have been very successful with pizza :)
Instead of kneading less try using a stronger flour.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

For the everyday bread I mix my dough in the KA - mixing flour, yeast, salt (& occasional olive oil) with the paddle - before adding the water and then letting the dough hook do it's work for 5 minutes on speed 2. Seems to work every time for me.

I've also tried the Artisan in 5 minutes approach and that works well too. I use a poolish only if I know I've got a bit of free time the next next day, otherwise coming in from work at 7 leaves me no time for the rest of the process.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
I never buy store or bakery bread. I find that I cycle through different preferences as to which bread currently make to "keep in stock." I'll go for a while making classic baguettes. Then I might make a 100% whole wheat loaf and then move to a half hole wheat braided seed bread.

I fiddled a while with the "...in five minutes a day" routine, but reverted back to mostly making, start to finish, in one evening, making overnight poolish only for the baguettes. Aside from time in the mixer kneading, I probably don't have much more than five minutes in any loaf, so it just a matter of starting early enough.

I used to spend more time with more carefully prepped starters, aiming for precise characteristics, and I still sometimes revert, but it's most now just cranking out the standby varieties for daily use.
This pretty much describes my routine as well. I like poolish doughs. For the amount of work required, it really results in a loaf with wonderful texture and flavor.

I used to bake bread twice a week, but since our daughter went off to college I found that we simply don't eat as much. So I've cut down to making it once every couple of weeks. I make two loaves at a time. One gets eaten right away; the other goes in the freezer.

And I've also occasionally been buying bread from <gasp!> the bakery lately - something I rarely would've done a year ago. Earlier this year I was confined to a wheelchair for six weeks while recovering from an ankle fracture, so it was more hassle to bake my own. A local Italian deli/bakery turned out to be a good option for bread, and while I like to brag about how good my bread is I have to admit that theirs is equally as good.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #10
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Instead of kneading less try using a stronger flour.
I don't know what a stronger flour means. I add dough enhancer to my regular store bought flour now???