"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 08-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Thanks for that input. So, even if I cannot find the hard red, red spring wheat, if I can find any whole wheat and have it ground I will have a much better product to use to make breads - is that correct?

Old 08-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
Thanks for that input. So, even if I cannot find the hard red, red spring wheat, if I can find any whole wheat and have it ground I will have a much better product to use to make breads - is that correct?
From what I understand, some wheat has more gluten than others. hard red spring wheat has more. If you buy 'wheat' and don't know the kind of wheat, it could and probably has less gluten. There are people here that probably know more about the types of wheat and the gluten content in each. I'm sure they'll be about and give advice.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to zfranca
Hi Raquel, I have been living in Guerrero since 2001 and I make bread regularly once a week. Yes, it is true the local flours resemble more the pastry flour but I found that mixing 50% white flour and 50% whole wheat flour the result is acceptable. I have an extra problem that you do not have (because I live on the Ocean side) and that is high humidity in the air. Nevertheless we find our bread so much better than the Bimbo bread you find in the stores. Once, a friend of mine brought from the States a small bag of gluten but in reality it did not make that much of the difference. Because I live here I try to make do with what I find locally. I use instant dry yeast. Here is a junior class in making focaccia.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	La Playa 014.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	11890  
Old 08-22-2011, 09:46 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Hello!
It is so nice to hear from you! I too, make bread about once a week. In the states I made 100% whole wheat and supplimented the lack of gluten with vital wheat gluten bought in the grocery store. As we've been discussing it's impossible to find gluten in Mexico. I have compromised and made 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 white but I still don't get the results that I'm accostomed to. However, you are so right that it is much better than Bimbo! LOL
Is that you in the picture that you posted? Looks like your sharing your skill and love of baking with the next generation! I love to do that as well. My son and daughter (13 aand 14 years) have both learned to cook quite a bit by just helping me out in the kitchen.
Thanks again for your response. I suppose I need to relax and be content with the results I get with the 50/50 bread. I do wish I could make 100% whole wheat though!
What brought you to Mexico? Isn't it wonderful? We love living here. Most people think we're nuts but those are the people who only listen to the violence broadcast on CNN but have never experienced real life in Mexico.
Have a great week!

Blessings
Rachel (Raquel)
Old 08-23-2011, 05:40 AM   #15
Executive Chef

The pdf cited below provides some insight into food availability in Mexico
http://www.ats.agr.gc.ca/lat/4977-eng.pdf
Old 08-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Hi Raquel, because this is a cooking forum, I will not go into political issues about Mexico. Like I said, I live in a rural area and my life is very simple. I will be happy to send you a copy of my book, "The precious Ingredient" which is partly autobiographical and you will know everything about me and my life in Mexico.Just send me a private message with your mailing address.
Yes, that is me in the picture. Most of my classes are with children. They are so much fun..
Life is a good pizza....
Franca
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of 65th.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	11902  
Old 08-23-2011, 02:29 PM   #17
Senior Cook

P.S. I did some research based on information provided by the site that justplainbill supplied and it appears that a company called "aires de campo" offers productos organicos thru' Wallmart super centers all over Mexico.
Franca
Old 08-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #18
Head Chef

You mention an "Asian blob of gluten." It is actually sold as a dried product. If you have any markets that sell Asian groceries, you might look for it. Then simply grind fine. Maybe?

Tags
bread