"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids
Old 08-19-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Homemade gluten for bread

I am an avid baker who recently moved to Mexico from Colorado. I love our life in Mexico however I am having a terrible time finding any type of high gluten bread flour. The only flour in the local stores is a lower gluten variety made for pastries. I have looked everywhere for any type of gluten and now I am desperate enough to try to make gluten at home to add to my bread dough. I have done on-line searches and I see that there is an Asian dish where you rinse bread flour several times until it is reduced to a blob of gluten and then for the Asian dish you deep fry it. What I'm wondering is whether I could use this same method and simply add the ball of gluten to my bread dough. Does anyone have any information on this? Also, does anyone know of how to find bread flours or vital wheat gluten in Mexico??? Help.....

Raquels Cocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
Executive Chef
Most supermarkets carry "Bread Flour" which is high gluten flour. Health food stores also carry straight wheat gluten which is used to add to specialty flour such as rye or whole wheat. You should be able to find both items within an easy drive from your home.

"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:22 AM   #3
Executive Chef
Can you mail order from the states?
Vital Wheat Gluten - 16 oz.
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
Assistant Cook
Hello Selkie, Yes, most supermarkets carry bread flour in the states but I am living in Southern Mexico and that is simply not the case. I'm hoping to find a source of gluten here in Mexico or to learn how to make it myself from flour that I buy in the store.
Thanks for the suggestion Bill, I will use ordering from the States as a last resort. It gets very expensive with dutie fees and shipping. Also, we live in a rural area without a physical address! (It's always an adventure!) So it's a lot more complicated than it was in Colorado when I could get onto Amazon and order anything with just a simple "click". Keep the answers coming though. I really appreciate any advice! Thanks!!!
Old 08-20-2011, 08:34 AM   #5
Master Chef
Site Administrator
If I needed to I would give it a shot. I suspect if you use AP flour the overall amount of gluten you get out is going to be lower (lower yield per pound of flour). I don't know how well this would store though.

If you have people visit from the states you could ask them to bring some, but then you are at the mercy of that schedule.

The other option is to not try to make bread like the US and make the local breads. Everything you need is already there.

Good luck.
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
Senior Cook
I am glad that you posted this. I live in Shanghai and have the same problem with flour. I will be interested to see what you learn.
pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #7
Assistant Cook
Local breads are tortillas! LOL I'll keep you posted pengyou!
Old 08-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
Head Chef
Raquel Welcome to Dc.

Practice Random Acts of Kindness ( RAK ) Makes you feel great too
Josie1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
Sous Chef
never heard of home made wheat gluten - so I started looking. there's a couple videos, etc.

but they don't use it as a powder added to other flour.

looking closely at the utube video - they _start_ with, you guessed it....
_bread flour_

gluten content is mostly controlled by the variety of wheat being milled - there's no "factory knob" for making just any old flour either high or low gluten.
dcSaute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #10
Head Chef
High gluten bread flour is ground from hard red spring wheat. If you can buy the wheat, you can grind it.

Just like anything else, certain components of products are taken out of normal products and sold separately, raising the price of the product if you had the whole product.

Example: Soap, some companies take the glycerin out of it, and then sell it separately, and what you are left with is not the 'whole soap' with all the good qualities a basic glycerin containing soap would have--good for your skin. Instead of basic soap, buy a soap like product and a lotion for your skin.

Example: Hard Red Spring Wheat flour--good for breads. If they take the vital wheat gluten out of it, the flour can be used for pastries/cakes while the vital wheat gluten can be sold/bought separately. Instead of bread flour, buy cake flour and add gluten.

Example: Whole milk, skim off the cream, sell the less fatty milk separately from the cream. Instead of full fat milk, get skim milk and buy cream.

Gluten is an example of this in action. King Arthur sells 3 lbs. of bread flour from hard red spring wheat for $7.95. The separate vital wheat gluten is sold for 1 lb. for $6.95.

I've been hard pressed to find gluten in the grocery store; it took me 6 months to find just a 4 oz. package that was overpriced. I bought 4 lbs. of gluten from Amazon at a better price.

I made some bread this week with All Purpose flour and gluten added--it was delicious in taste and the texture can't be beat--crispy browned exterior, even bubbles in the crumb and chewy. Everyone love it. I'll be making for today for pizza and bread for tonight.

blissful is offline   Reply With Quote