How to make sprouted bread lighter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martin100181

Assistant Cook
Hello, I'm experimenting with sprouted grain bread. With no flour at all.

I get pretty nice results, but allways kind of gummy and compact bread, even using yeast it rises not enough to make it lighter.

Does anybody know a way to make this bread lighter using yeast but not gluten or flour?

Welcome to DC! Sorry, I'm of no help, but we have some great gluten free bakers who hang here.

Martin, How about you start with posting the recipe first, so we know what you are dealing with.

Martin, How about you start with posting the recipe first, so we know what you are dealing with.

I've been trying come variations, but as a basic recipe I use P. Reinhart's:

Sprouted weath grinded (not dryed) 100%
Salt 1,3%
Inst. Yeast: 1%
Sugar: 4%
Water: 16,6% (I don't use water, grinded wheat is more than enough I thing)

After grinding and mixing ingredients I treat it like any other bread, kneading, bulk proofing, form, final proof and oven I did a lot of testing, the best I achieved was with very hot in the begining (230°c) over the stone, covered like in the duth oven method in order to trap more steam and improve oven spring.

I proof ussualy for 1 hour and for final 45min. I'm afraid that more time will make the loaf collapse because of a weak gluten structure).

It is also very chewi, would be nice to make it a less chewi (if I´m not asking too much! )

Thank you and sorry for my english

After a bit of research, I am wondering about a couple of things.
Did you let it cool completely before slicing?

The King Arthur Flour website recipe had this advice:
*You'll need to use 1 to 2 tablespoons less water in summer and 1 to 2 tablespoons more water in winter.

After a bit of research, I am wondering about a couple of things.
Did you let it cool completely before slicing?

The King Arthur Flour website recipe had this advice:
*You'll need to use 1 to 2 tablespoons less water in summer and 1 to 2 tablespoons more water in winter.

Thank you Hoot. That chewi texture is due to enzime activity as far as I know, not because of being cut when hot. I let it cool.

Regarding water, I dont even use any water, the grain mash is so wet I don't think I need it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom