I finally have my white bread tweaked to where I like it and it's consistent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scotty71

Cook
Now I want to try to add just a bit of rye flour and some caraway seeds.
Now, I make 2 loaves of white with a 6 cups of flour recipe. If I substitute 2 cups of rye flour for 2 cups of the white flour and change nothing else should I get a sort of rye type bread???

My concern is that never having worked with rye flour, will it act differently than the white flour.
Any advice other than just try it???:chef:

Last edited:
It is a good way to start. Rye is heavier and could be harder to work with. But 30% sounds like a good proportion

It is a good way to start. Rye is heavier and could be harder to work with. But 30% sounds like a good proportion

It turns out that I have dark rye flour so I will change my start mix to 16% rye flour--I'm dragging out the Electrolux in a minute and probably will try it later today or tomorrow.1 cup rye flour to 5 cups white flour.:chef:

Charlie, we just made 2 loaves of the rye bread by substituting 1 cup of rye flour for one cup of white flour. The bread tastes like a light rye and we are very satisfied. We added the rye flour to the liquid first and gave it a chance to mix/hydrate well.

Now we would like to get the loaves about1.5 inches higher. I'm going to try and use the bakers math that says the total flour is 100% and the liquid is 66%.
Any advice from anyone here???? 1 or 2 cups more of flour????

If you simply want higer loaf, try to us high gluten white flour that will help with the rise. Rye is very heavy and that is why it is not rising (probably) as simple white bread. Also I would recomend to read this thread I started not so long ago: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f153/rye-bread-81267.html
as I am only learning how to make rye myself, there are very good sugestions in that thread. From Steve and Bill. You might find very helpful.

Ok. ill read the thread. I am already using dough enhancer on the bread.-- At one time the loaves were a bit hard. We have the texture solved and just:chef: need a bit more volume. I will however read the thread and try to learn more. Thanks.

I read the rye bread thread-- I learned a new word. "oven spring". My method needs to be modified a bit I think.

http://www.videobread.com/tips11.htm

I found this ilink an have read it once. I guess ill need some discussion on this subject.
My first thought is if I let the loaves completely raise in a baking pan, why do I want oven spring.:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom