"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 06-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #61
Executive Chef

I enjoy kneading too, it's just a kind of simple mindless enjoyment of doing something useful with your hands.

Do they make consumer ovens with steam injection? (Or at least I presume what that might be called.) An oven that automatically adds moisture to get nice crusts on breads?

Old 06-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #62
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I got the book from the library today, it looks like a great reference and a definite "must buy"

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #63
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I enjoy kneading too, it's just a kind of simple mindless enjoyment of doing something useful with your hands.

Do they make consumer ovens with steam injection? (Or at least I presume what that might be called.) An oven that automatically adds moisture to get nice crusts on breads?
I don't know. When my girlfriend in California remodeled her kitchen she ordered a 36 inch custom made restaurant type cast iron stove. She said they had a list of options she could have installed. One of them was a steam injector. Now she always says "I don't do flour, or garden dirt." They explained what it was for and she and her husband started laughing so hard, that she was losing her breath. The salesman thought they were nuts until her husband explained. If they needed something that required flour and baking, they order it from their favorite bakery. She is a fabulous cook at long as it doesn't require a lot of flour for baking. A baker she is not. The stove ended up costing them over $4,000.00. A little to pricey for me. The stove was beautiful. Had six burners that all had memory. (A custom order.) Set it at a certain temperature, and it stayed there. When the temperature of the pot reached the temp she had it set for, it would turn itself down, it also did the same in reverse. A GREAT feature for putting on a pot that required a long simmer like pasta gravy or a stew. The front of the stove was brushed stainless steel over the CI base along with the knobs. (A custom order.) A stove to die for.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #64
Executive Chef

I am officially a "displaced person" and I'm house hunting at present. Some houses come with stoves, some without. If without I may need to make a very quick decision, so I'm just fishing for advice. This decision is likely to be the last major cooking choice I'll ever be able to make.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #65
Certified Pretend Chef

Will the stove be gas or electric? I'd get the highest output stove you want to afford. As far as brands, it depends on whether you want a 'professional' stove or a normal household appliance.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #66
Executive Chef

I would rather open a soup can and slice my throat on the sharp edge, than ever succumb to electric cooking.

Even when I was house hunting out of state I made it clear to my RE agent that all electric houses were off limits, off the table.

I don't know whether I'll end up with a house with an existing stove or whether I'll have to buy one. Some of the houses come with built in stove tops and built-ins, some are sold with stand alone stoves, some have vacant spots and "bring my own stove."

In all cases they are gas stoves or hook-up for same. If I have to "bring it" I'm thinking Viking, just because that's the name I've most often heard in high end home cooking gourmet stoves.

But one thing for sure, when the time comes I'm going to have to be prepared to move quickly. I've gone probably 3 weeks now with only microwave or take-out. I'm dying...
Old 06-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #67
Certified Pretend Chef

I understand. When we were having a kitchen remodel a few years ago, I went without a stove for weeks and missed it more than I expected to.

I've heard Viking has/had quality issues. I know we had thread(s) on this a few years ago. they may be relevant.

Also, high output stoves may require a larger volume gas service to your home and added insulation.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:12 PM   #68
Executive Chef

I'm not so sure I need high output. I've never had a "too little" heat problem before. Maybe I should start a topic, why get a gourmet stove?

Maybe I should just spend my money on an assortment of barbecues and smokers.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #69
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks
I'm not so sure I need high output. I've never had a "too little" heat problem before. Maybe I should start a topic, why get a gourmet stove?

Maybe I should just spend my money on an assortment of barbecues and smokers.
If you must go with gas, maybe a "dual fuel" range might work for you, you get the gas top and an electric oven. I really prefer electric ovens on consumer grade equipment.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #70
Certified Pretend Chef

I heard what you said about electric stoves. I'm fascinated by induction stovetops. The speed and instant variability of gas with the power of electric. I'm not sure I'd get one over gas but it's intriguing.

Tags
bread