I Thought I'd Bake Some Bread Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
The weather's been chilly, wet and dreary this week. I wanted a warming soup for dinner. For us, a soup meal calls for a baguette. I had that cookbook of Ratios, and thought I'd try the baguette recipe. It sounded easy and quick so I decided to give it a go. It's a quicker, simpler version than the one in Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice which calls for a two-day process.

The recipe produced a much bigger loaf than I expected from a baguette recipe. I guess I should have made it four feet long!

Here are the results. I have to say we both thought it came out pretty good.

Attachments

• DSC02880.jpg
    DSC02880.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC02885.jpg
    DSC02885.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 213
Last edited by a moderator:
Looks gorgeous, Andy. Very nice crumb.
You certainly haven't lost your touch for not having done it in a while.

The recipe produced a much bigger loaf than I expected from a baguette recipe. I guess I should have made it four feet long!
Looks good! Next time divide in two and make two loafs the same length but half the diameter.

I wish I could make baguette that good! (I presume it tasted as good as it looks.)

Thanks everybody.

Greg, it did taste very good. We ate more than we needed tonight.

I would have split it in two if the recipe hadn't said it made one loaf. When I set it for the final rise, it really grew!

So this is from Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking. I've reserved a copy at my local public library. I love to "test drive" cookbooks from the library, then buy them at online discounts (sometimes used) if they perform.

Please let me know if there is only one baguette recipe, or if more than one which did you use?

I want to try it myself! :)

So this is from Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking. I've reserved a copy at my local public library. I love to "test drive" cookbooks from the library, then buy them at online discounts (sometimes used) if they perform.

Please let me know if there is only one baguette recipe, or if more than one which did you use?

I want to try it myself! :)

This is a great book. Not only for the recipes but to help you understand the concept of ratios.

There is one 'lean dough' recipe used for baguette, boulé and ciabatta. The only real difference is the shape and some olive oil for the ciabatta. It's just about the first thing in the book.

Here, Amazon.com: Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking (9781416571728): Michael Ruhlman: Books go to this link and click to see inside the book. Go to page 10. The recipe starts at the top of the page with 20 ounces of bread flour...

Thanks Andy. No problem, my copy is already on its way to me via LAPL. They've got like more than a dozen copies not checked out and I'll probably get it by the weekend. I don't have a good enough oven to cook bread at the present time but I'll have one some day, and I have enough experience and imagination that I can tell just by reading a cook book if it's good enough to buy. If so (and it probably will be) I'll put it on my "must buy" list (along with Pioneer Woman's book) and get it as soon as I get my next house sorted.

I'm already waiting on a copy of Culinary Reactions: the everyday chemistry of cooking (previously discussed on DC) and Classic Russian Cooking ed. by JS Toome (from Wikipedia after reading DC's Beef Stroganoff topic)

It's nice to be able to get these good cooking ideas by sharing with fellow enthusiasts. :)

awesome job, andy!

that looks as good as any bread from the myriad of bakeries in my neighbourhood.

Andy,
your bread is beautiful and I know it's full of flavor and is nice and crunchy,it looks wonderful and a pleasure to eat.
Emmmmm bread and salad.
kades

Last edited:
Andy: Looks Wonderful

Buon Giorno,

As bread aficionados know, breads impart that special additional taste to our meals, and brings out the delicate nuances without overpowering ... It looks as if you have discovered an art worth savouring ...
Ciao.
Margi.

This is a great book. Not only for the recipes but to help you understand the concept of ratios.

There is one 'lean dough' recipe used for baguette, boulé and ciabatta. The only real difference is the shape and some olive oil for the ciabatta. It's just about the first thing in the book.

Here, Amazon.com: Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking (9781416571728): Michael Ruhlman: Books go to this link and click to see inside the book. Go to page 10. The recipe starts at the top of the page with 20 ounces of bread flour...
Thanks, Andy. It looks fabulous! That's on my "to do" list for the weekend. I am planning to use 1/2 of the dough (since you have confirmed it makes a large loaf) for Kaiser rolls and the other 1/2 for a baguette. I find Kaiser rolls are fun to make. I don't have a Kaiser-roll tool, I make mine the old-fashioned way. I think I need to add this book to my collection! I checked out the ratio recipe for pasta as well. I think I'll be giving that a try soon as well.

Last edited:
The weather's been chilly, wet and dreary this week. I wanted a warming soup for dinner. For us, a soup meal calls for a baguette. I had that cookbook of Ratios, and thought I'd try the baguette recipe. It sounded easy and quick so I decided to give it a go. It's a quicker, simpler version than the one in Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice which calls for a two-day process.

Here are the results. I have to say we both thought it came out pretty good.

Wow! That looks fantastic. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom