I want to make the lightest possible yeast bread (white)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linda123

Senior Cook
Does someone have a tried and true recipe to make yeast rolls so light they will rise off the pans unless you cover them in butter? My rolls always tastes fine, but I want to make a batch of "airy" rolls....do I need to knead the dough longer? Let rise more? Use more yeast? The first rising seems to go well, but after i shape the bread into rolls, they don't rise much...and I've used several different recipes.

Thanks!

Is this a one rise dough BC? Make the dough, knead on the board and then immediately shape into rolls to rise on a pan. And Skip the step using my gramma's crockery bread bowl rise covered with an old flour sack dish towel. At a minimum, besides a good recipe, you need a soft towel to cover the dough. Heresy, if skipping these steps. She used potato water, what the dinner 'taters were boiled in. If a potato bread recipe works, it works.

Ps. I don't have her bread bowl, just one like it.

PPS. I used cheater frozen whole wheat bread dough balls to make burger buns today. They thawed and filled out and made good looking buns. Oiled the top of the plastic wrap like the instrux said. They turned out nicely shaped and perfect size. Flavor, even whole wheat, not so much. And the baking smell reminded me of Subway sandwich shops. Ech-patooie. Won't be dong that again, althoght I still have half a package to use up. And yes, I will do penance, hold my head, wear sack cloth and give my dear Gramma an imaginary hug before going to bed.

The OP might want to look at Pullman Loaf recipes too, I think they are light and airy.

Edit. Nevermind the first question. I didn't see BC included a potato bread recipe/ website. with suggested instrux. Thanks.

Last edited:
There is an old fashioned recipe called "angel biscuits". The recipe calls for yeast, buttermilk, baking soda and baking powder. Butter may not keep those suckers down.

+1

The dough for these can also be kept in the refrigerator for several days so you can have a fresh pan of rolls on very short notice.

Great for Sunday dinner!

Last edited:
+1

The dough for these can also be kept in the refrigerator for several days so you can have a fresh pan of rolls on very short notice.

Great for Sunday dinner!

[FONT=&quot]Angel Biscuits[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 packages active dry yeast[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4 cup warm water[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 cups warm buttermilk [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5 cups all-purpose flour[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/3 cup sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 teaspoons salt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 teaspoons baking powder[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 teaspoon baking soda[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 cup shortening[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Melted butter[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Warm water, then the milk, in the microwave or a small saucepan to approx. 110 degrees f. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in the warmed buttermilk and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and soda. Cut in shortening with a pastry[/FONT][FONT=&quot] blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in yeast mixture. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 3-4 times to form a soft dough. Roll or pat into a 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter, drinking glass or tin can.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place about 1-1/2 hours. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Bake at 450° for 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Lightly brush[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]tops with melted butter. Serve warm. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This dough can be refrigerated for several days. The biscuits can also be formed and stored in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator and let rise 1 ½ hours brush with melted butter and bake as indicated above.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The church ladies loved this recipe because they could make and form the rolls on Saturday then pull them out of the refrigerator to rise as they were going out the door for church on Sunday morning. They would be ready to pop in the oven when they returned home from church and put on their aprons to make the gravy and mash the potatoes. Hey Grandma whats for dinner! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
[/FONT]

I've made angel biscuits - I have my grandmother's recipe and they are really, really good....I want a true "light roll" recipe - something like you get at O Charley's, The Wood Grill, or other chain restaurants.....they don't usually have a lot of flavor, but i want the lightness....my yeast rolls are almost always dense and heavy.

thanks!

I printed out the potato roll recipe and will try it later today. Will let you know how they turn out - or come on over and try them yourself! :)

I printed out the potato roll recipe and will try it later today. Will let you know how they turn out - or come on over and try them yourself! :)

Linda,
There is a recipe here in the DC bread files for "Mae's Overnight Buns". (I don't know how to link it here) they are very light and might fit the bill for you. Whatever you decide.....good luck! ;)

Thanks, Somebunny - i printed out the recipe and will try it another time....12 cups of flour???? Wow!

I doubled the Amish Dinner rolls recipe listed above and they are on the second rise now. I am very happy with the first rise.....I didn't cook quite enough potatoes, so I used a little bit of instant mashed potatoes (about a half cup) and hope it won't make much of a difference. I don't like to change things the first time i bake something, but didn't really have the time to to boil more 'taters....now...a 2 HOUR second rise!! Yikes! I didn't see that when I first read over the recipe! (I want to take some to a family member this afternoon - guess I will be going over later than I thought).

Thanks to all.. Linda

The rolls turned out pretty well....I didn't take time for the second 2-hour rise - just went a little over an hour - but they were lighter than my usual batches. Thanks for your help.

Yes, what I found out was that by using milk and also throwing in an egg, you end up with some gorgeous, soft buns. If you like, you may also add some sesame seeds in the dough. For the surface, if you add sesame or poppy seeds you need to previously brush the dough with some egg wash, otherwise the seeds will easily fall off, making a mess.

Back
Top Bottom