ISO Advice on Adding Flax Seed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JesusT

Assistant Cook
I want to add flax seed to my whole wheat bread but am unsure of the quantity. The recipe I use makes 2 loaves(32 slices total). I know one slice is one serving and 3 tbsp of flax seed is one serving. But I don't think I should be adding 96 tbsp to the recipe. How do I determine how much to use? Thanks in advance for the help.

Welcome to DC, JesusT.

You may have to do some experimentation. Try a recipe with a half cup of flax seed and adjust from there as needed.

DO NOT ADD WHOLE FLAX SEED TO YOUR BREAD!
Whole flax seeds do not digest. They need to be ground up!

Definately grind them up or you get no nutritional value from them! I agree with Andy, start with 1/2 cup. :)

Flaxseed Bread
1 TBSP active dry yeast
1 3/4 cup warm water
3 TBSP Honey or 1/8 cup sugar
1 TBSP Olive oil (I use Canola)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup Flax Seed ( grind seed in a blender to make into meal)
3 cups whole wheat flour (I used 1 1/2 cups each of wheat and unbleached)
Dissolve yeast in warmed water. Set aside until bubbly, about 10 minutes. Mix honey, oil, flaxseed and 1/2 of the flour.Mix well, stir in the rest of the flour 1/2 cup at a time until it makes a soft, kneadable dough. Knead 10 minutes. Shape dough into a loaf and put in a 9"x5" pan. Cover and let rise until double in bulk. (about an hour in a nice warm place). Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes until the top is nice and brown and it sounds hollow when you tap on it. Be sure to spray bread pan good with Pam so it will come out easily. I think I will add a little more sugar to this recipe the next time I make it.

Back
Top Bottom