ISO Bagel chips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I was wondering if anyone makes their own bagel chips from stale bagels? I have a meat slicer, mandolin, and fp. What appliance do you use to get them super thin and how long and at what temp do you dry them at? Do you brush them with oil and add seasonings?

I was wondering if anyone makes their own bagel chips from stale bagels? I have a meat slicer, mandolin, and fp. What appliance do you use to get them super thin and how long and at what temp do you dry them at? Do you brush them with oil and add seasonings?

I tried to make them using the slicing blade on my food processor but the result was less than satisfactory. I ended up with lots of shredded bagle and just a few actual chips.

I'm guessing here, CWS, but I wonder if a serrated knife might work the best, even though it would be pretty labor-intensive. The staleness of the bagels might make all the difference. Too soft and they tear, too stale and they crumble. While I'm guessing I might as well guess an olive oil brush & favorite seasonings sprinkled, then bake hot -- 400 or so. Hmmm. Might have to try this myself. Love crunchies. :yum:

Day old, or couple day old bagels, meat slicer and you can get them as thin as you like. Also, once sliced, you can let them dry out even more for a day before blasting in the oven. We make them by the bag full. 425 for about 8 min. When you start to really smell them, they are done. That's in a convection oven, so adjust your time/tem accordingly if you aren't using a convection.

Day old, or couple day old bagels, meat slicer and you can get them as thin as you like. Also, once sliced, you can let them dry out even more for a day before blasting in the oven. We make them by the bag full. 425 for about 8 min. When you start to really smell them, they are done. That's in a convection oven, so adjust your time/tem accordingly if you aren't using a convection.
Thanks, TattRat, I figured a couple of days' old, and meat slicer was the way to go. I'll let them dry out more before blasting in the oven. I do have a convection oven (small one) that I can use.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom