"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 10-23-2006, 03:19 PM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I don't think I'd like rye bread with chili, but it is very good with split pea soup or most bean soups, as well as potato soups.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:07 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Here's the bread bowl recipe I use in my bread machine......

1 c. water
1 T. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 3/4 c. bread flour
1 1/2 tsp. bread machine or quick rise yeast

1 egg yolk
1 T. water

Place all ingredients (except egg yolk and 1 T. water) in bread machine in the usual order. Select Dough cycle and press start. Grease the outsides of six 10 oz. custard cups and place upside down on ungreased cookie sheet. When dough is ready, remove from bread machine and let rest on a floured board for ten minutes.

Divide dough into six parts. Roll each into a 7" circle on a lightly floured surface then shape bowls over greased cups. Let rise 20 - 30 minutes until slightly puffy. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix egg yolk and water, brush gently over outside of bread bowls. Bake for 18 - 22 minutes until golden brown. Carefully remove custard cups and let bread bowls cool right side up on a wire rack. Freezes well.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #13
Head Chef

Make your bread recipe dough and use the alum pot pie shells to bake it in. I am assuming that you are serving 6oz servings here. You can remove the bread from the shells. If you want, you can always let some of the bread dough hang over the sides of the shells and give it some design. You can also sprinkle the bread with cheese or seeds to make it unique from your kitchen.

You can also make puff pastry shells for serving and you can make them any size that you want.

To pretty it up, I would serve the bread bowl on a plate line with green lettuce leaves. You can ring the plate with crackers, mini bread sticks, fresh veggies like carrot sticks, cauiflower, and peppers.

Do I smell an apple strudel for desert?
Old 01-13-2008, 11:24 PM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
San Francisco style sourdough bread rounds make excellent bread bowls for chili or clam chowder.

Of course, making sourdough rounds takes planning because it is very labor intensive and takes several days to complete, but it is totally worth it. I make my starter using the yeast from the skins of orgaincally grown grapes.