ISO Brown and Serve Rolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
I have a couple of dinner roll recipes that I make alot and then family loves. But the hubbie loves the brown and serve rolls you find in the grocery stores. The ones that come in a single layer Package of 12 and you just pop them in the oven and till their brown and then brush them with butter.

If any anyone has a recipe for them, I would love to make them for him

Thank you

If your dinner roll recipes call for yeast, then any of them will do for the brown and serve. It is a matter of shape. And they do need a second rise. :angel:

Give your dough a first rise. Depress it and form the rolls, place in your muffin tin. Brush tops with butter. Cover, let rise again covered. Then bake them. One single ball of dough = Brown and Serve. Three small balls of dough in one muffin cup = Clover Leaf rolls. One large roll with a crease made with the back of a table knife = Parker House rolls. All the same dough, just a different name for each shape. :angel:

The brown and serve rolls are just par-baked. You finish the baking...sounds like something Shrek would say...it's why he doesn't get homemade hollandaise sauce.

The rolls are partially baked, enough to set the rolls and then frozen. You buy them, thaw them and finish baking them.

The ones in our area are not frozen, They are sold in a single layer tray of a dozen.
Take them out of the package and place on baking tray and bake till brown and serve.

The ones in the stores where I live aren't frozen, either. But they are still the same thing: par-baked rolls that you finish off in your home oven. They also tend to be loaded with preservatives to extend the shelf life of the semi-moist dough.

Last edited:
The ones in our area are not frozen, They are sold in a single layer tray of a dozen.
Take them out of the package and place on baking tray and bake till brown and serve.

That's the kind I am familiar with. They are very moist.

Back
Top Bottom